Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a set of Gabion steps?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

How to build a set of Gabion steps?

Howdy All

I have been trying to nut my way through building some steps with gabion wall bases and timber tops. I almost have it but there is a difference in heigh between steps of 10-20mm. The rules states the height should be consistant with the depth and the height.

For my example the height is 170mm and the depth is 300mm (I coppied from my front concrete steps)

The gal mesh I am using is 50mm by 50mm (locks me into certain meausurements)

01 23-06-2024.jpg

I am not too concerned with the overall depth of the steps as it can be accomodated. It also matches the steel mesh I have.

02 23-06-2024.jpg

First step no issues, second step and issues of height turn up..

03 23-06-2024.jpg

Once I started extrapolating it did my head in. The figure above the blocks is what it should be, the figure in brackets is what it will be due to the limitations of the mesh sizing.

04 23-06-2024.jpg

The figures on the left are what should be, brackets are what will be and the plus/minus difference in height over what it should be.

05 23-06-2024.jpg

The gabion basket retaining wall size. The house wall is on the left.

06 17-06-2024.jpg

Gabion basket being built (upside down atm)

07 17-06-2024.jpg

Gabion basket up the right way waiting for the ties to be put into place, will have 3 or 4 all up as its a Large basket.

08 10-06-2024.jpg

The steps will be on the right hand side of the mesh.

Going through the question this morning I am wondering if I try and limit the height of the timber tread to 50mm (the timber is 40mm thick, the timber spacer under it is 20mm which then matches up with another timer spacer under the mesh to screw through to) Then I can have a consistant height of the steps without the 70mm causing the issue. I think I have answered my question lol The first spacer under the timber is to lock them together, maybe I should use steel plate or something else thats only 10mm but solid mmmm

Any ideas or suggestions, and yeah I can change anything at this point (bar the existing large basket size) as I decide to ketch it out first before cutting mesh.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a set of Gabion steps?

Hello @Dave-1 

In theory if you copied your original step sizes it should technically work. I drew a quick render below, please have a quick look and tell me what you think. I suggest bending or cutting the mesh to your needed size rather than accommodating the mesh. This should make your step building less troublesome.

What timber were you planning to use? If you were to use a thinner piece like 40mm, it would lower the steps and make the step assembly shorter. The common timber tread available at the store is the 240 x 45mm 1.2m Stair Tread H3 Treated Pine Domestic Use

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Thank you @EricL 

Yeah that sketch is pretty much what my ideal would be, The only problem is the ground level is mostly flat tho I can have a step up into the hill or dig some more out. Putting a cage on hand tamped soil can be done but id rather not. The only place I had to do it is under one of the big gabion cages across the front yard and it dropped maybe an inch in 2 ish years.

The mesh I have is 50mm by 50mm squares so the step height has to follow the 100mm or 150mm plus timber tread and work in multiples going up the steps.

With the timber treads I was going to make up the treads the same style as my bench seat for the gabion bench.

08 14-10-2023.jpg

I have plenty of old hardwood and want to use it for a similar look

09 14-10-2023.jpg

The timber pieces are there to give a levelness to the overall bench and also to allow for the spirals to be would on (in this instance)

09 07-10-2023.jpg

The steps are going to be around 800mm wide, maybe a little more. The intention is to drill a hole (and countersink) through the lengths, through the spacer and through the piece under the mess and then use a screw bolt to go down through all three. Or to give me that magic 50mm timber height for the step I find some flat steel bar with holes through it as long as the bar is close to 10mm (or 5mm) That way I can build the steps with the timber washer on the underside of the mesh, then come back and install the steps all the way up.

Might try and show a mockup if its still sunlight out when i get home.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

If you can do a mock up that would great, we'll get a much better idea for spacing and height.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@EricL 

hahaha off to play in the mud! Well will be soon :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @EricL 

Here is my mockup of the steps. The more I look at it and do the maths the mo9re I think If i keep to the 50mm tread height then I can make it work eaiser. I may raise the steps to 200mm height with a 300mm depth. Will do a mockup tomorrow of that. It will decrease the overall depth into the hill. I just need to see where the top most step will work out that way.

01 24-06-2024.jpg

So to make sense of the mock up.

50mm square mesh. 

Steps work out to be 170mm high 100mm of mesh and 70mm of timber step. Mock up has 100mm of mesh and 45mm of timber step.

Steps are 300mm deep.

02 24-06-2024.jpg

Second step 300mm of square mesh and 45mm of Timber, On the first step you can see two of 50mm mesh and then the timber step, If I have a timber slat under the three pieces of timber it raises it by another 22mm

03 24-06-2024.jpg

Sorry the third step is blury but you can still count the 50mm square mesh of 600mm and 45mm of timber

04 24-06-2024.jpg

8 of 50mm squares and 45mm timber step. (445mm)

05 24-06-2024.jpg

10 of 50mm square mesh and 45mm timber step (545mm high)

06 24-06-2024.jpg

300mm depth of step (top of step looking down)

07 24-06-2024.jpg

Where the steps will go.

08 24-06-2024.jpg

If you can imagine the excess mesh not being there the steps seem to be to low, If I make each step 150mm of mesh with a top of 50mm timber it may work better, will trial that later in the week (just busy in the afternoon the next few days) 

Note - Spot the mistake!! First step to second step I have added an extra 100mm block in by mistake. The rest of the steps are the right ratios.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

The mock up looks quite good, but I suppose the real test is when you place the timber on top. I'm not so sure about making the step higher as a shorter step lends to less tripping and catching your toe on the step. My only thoughts are to get as close as you can to the original height of 170mm.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @EricL 

I was going to start on the steps this weekend but it turned into a pruning/topping liqid ambers (keep them manageable and my three crepe myrtles I hard pruned as well. And my muscles didnt take well to the exercise lol Must admit tho my new ozito electric pruner is a beautiful thing!

Will see if i can get some steps done this weekend tho (if its not raining)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects