Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair screen door stripped screw holes?

hle
Just Starting Out

How to repair screen door stripped screw holes?

 please suggest tools required 

IMG_9288.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to repair screen door stripped screw holes

Morning @hle 

Can you determine the diameter of the remaining holes?

What size rivets were used?

My thoughts - maybe bigger rivets.

- maybe use nut rivets.

- aluminium plate, longer than the hinged area (and pop riveted in place at the ends) and then re-drill and pop rivet through this.

- maybe reposition the hinge and/or change the hinge style.

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair screen door stripped screw holes

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hle. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a door hinge.

It's great to see @Noyade has already offered some great advice.

That are is now quite chewed up and compromised. I'd suggest going with his third option of moving the hinge either above or below this damaged location. You'll need to drill out the pop-rivets on the frame to remove the hinge. You'll then need to drill out the pop rivets that are stuck in the hinge from the door. You'll need a drill driver for this and a 4mm drillbit. To remove the pop-rivets drill through their central hole with the drill bit.

To move the hinge's location, you'll need to mark the hole locations for the hinge and drill through the frame and then the door. Then, use a pop-rivet kit to reattach the hinge.

Let us know if the hinge is welded to the frame instead of pop-riveted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects