Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build covered outdoor carport?

KP24
Just Starting Out

How to build covered outdoor carport?

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

G’day Team

I am building outdoor covered carport and would like to add some down lights and ceiling fan. My concerns are 

1) what kind of insulation I can add with existing metal roof;

2) can I use Gyprock sheets to cover? If not what do you suggest?

3) What to add to keep the roof moisture free and avoid condensation so it wont damage the ceiling?

Attached Photos for reference

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build covered outdoor carport

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KP24. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a covered outdoor carport.

For insulation, since you’ve got enough depth in your roof beams, you can go with either fibreglass batts or solid foam board insulation. Fibreglass is a cost-effective and easy-to-install option, while foam board insulation offers excellent thermal performance and additional rigidity. Both are suitable for metal roofs, but foam board tends to provide better energy efficiency in the long run. Be sure to choose insulation with an appropriate R-value to suit your local climate conditions.

You can use Gyprock plaster sheets to cover the ceiling, but you’ll need to ensure that the roof structure can handle the additional weight. It's a good idea to consult a professional, such as a structural engineer, to perform the necessary calculations and ensure the ceiling can support the plasterboard safely. If you’re looking for an alternative, fibre cement sheeting is also an option, as it’s moisture-resistant and durable for outdoor use.

To keep the roof moisture-free and avoid condensation, it’s essential to install a sarking vapour barrier. This barrier will prevent moisture from transferring through the roof and help protect your insulation and timber from water damage. Sarking is especially useful in metal roofing applications, where condensation can be a common issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects