Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to fill this gap in wooden frame

chloefrancis
Community Newcomer

how to fill this gap in wooden frame

I was cleaning g the outside of my windows in preparation of possibly repainting since the last owners did a botch job, I was using the air compressor to get rid of dirt and chunks of my window sill has come out, I am left with this. I would try to remove the rest and leave as is although that is a big job in itself to remove on all windows. I have noticed where it has come out there is a gap where it meets the glass. Any suggestions on how to fill/fix this mess? The rest is all cracked too so I’m not sure how I’m going to go about any of this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fill this gap in wooden frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chloefrancis. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing windows.

The correct product to use would be glazing putty. You'll need to use a putty knife to push it into the gap and smooth it off so it forms a cove from the frame to the glass.

The glazing putty is in pretty rough shape, especially with parts already falling out. Before proceeding, I recommend testing other sections of the frame to see if they're just as unstable. If those areas also easily break away, it's a sign that all the putty will eventually need to be addressed, even though it's a bigger project.

For now, you could fill the bottom section where the chunk came out with glazing putty as a temporary fix. Glazing putty is designed to fill gaps around window frames, and it will prevent water from getting in that lower lip. Just be aware that if the damage is widespread, it will likely need proper attention at some point to prevent further deterioration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects