Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean deck stain splatter off house?

kraftburk
Finding My Feet

How to clean deck stain splatter off house?

We recently had our deck re-stained. The guys that did it stripped back the old stain with a chemical stripper, and power washer. As a consequence the old stain has splattered onto some of our external walls (some textured/rendered, some painted plaster), metal deck joists, and in one case - under our front door and onto an internal wall. As it was a hot day, it has now dried and power washing is not taking it off.  On the smooth surfaces, the splatter appears to be superficial and can be (painstakingly) scratched off e.g. with a paint scraper. On the textured surfaces it’s trickier. I’m looking for a faster solution to cleaning it up and wondering if something like turps might do the trick? 

IMG_5017.jpeg

IMG_5016.jpeg

IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5015.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean deck stain splatter off house?

Hi @kraftburk,

Turps or Methelayted spirits could help bring it off, though staining might remain. I suspect the easiest option in this circumstance would be to paint over the area with a couple coats of a quality exterior paint.

I'd do your first coat and check to see if the stain bleeds through. If so, you might need to use a stain-blocking primer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects