Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for outdoor plant stand?

minhletn
Growing in Experience

What timber for outdoor plant stand?

IMG_0839.png

Hi all,

Which timber would I need to build something like this picture? It’s to be used outside and probably cheaper to buy instead of making but DIY allows us to customise the size to fit our space

The frame is thin so I’m not sure treated pine or hardwood dresser can be used?

Can I used hardwood like 30x12 and 32x32 DAR Tasmanian oak? Are they strong enough to support multiple plant pots like the pic? If yes do I need any specific oil or stain to use them outside?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber for outdoor plants stand

Hi @minhletn,

You could use Tasmanian Oak, though keep in mind it’s a relatively soft hardwood and may not hold up as well outdoors compared to other options. If you go this route, you'll definitely need to treat it with a high-quality outdoor oil or water-proof varnish regularly to prevent moisture damage, as Tasmanian Oak isn’t naturally resistant to decay.

For a project like this that will hold plant pots and be exposed to the elements, treated pine or hardwood like Merbau might be better choices. They’re more durable outdoors and can handle the weight of the pots. If you’re set on using the thinner frame design, make sure to reinforce the joints well.

Here's a rendering of what it could look like using 42 x 19mm 2.7m Pre-Oiled Merbau Solid Screening.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
minhletn
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc ,

I’ve ordered Merbau for this

With it having been primed already with timber oil, can I just coat it with decking oil or do I need to use Timber Prep/Cleaner first?

Do you recommend any screws to be used for this build?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @minhletn 

If you are using the 42 x 19mm 2.7m Pre-Oiled Merbau Solid Screening or a Merbau timber with a thickness of 19mm, I suggest using Zenith 10G x 35mm Galvanised Type 17 Wafer Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack to anchor them together. Just keep in mind that when joining two pieces of timber together the screw you are using can't be greater than the thickness of the two joined timber pieces. I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to choose the right screw for the job by @Adam_W.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

minhletn
Growing in Experience

Thank @EricL,

Am I right to assume that can I just coat the pre-oiled Merbau timber with decking oil without having to use Timber Prep/Cleaner first?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @minhletn 

Please note that the pre-oiled Merbau might still be sweating tannins. If you don't wish to use the timber prep/cleaner, you'll need to let the timber weather for 6 to 12 weeks out in the sun while the tannins leach out of the wood. To eliminate the waiting time, you'll need to use the timber prep/cleaner. Just keep in mind that if you choose to let the timber weather out, to keep it in a place where you don't mind the ground getting stained with tannins.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

minhletn
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the explanation @EricL,

It says on the website “SpecRite's pre-oiled decking is ready for finishing on-site with your preferred topcoating product”, that’s why I got confused.

I checked others’ question about Merbau’s tannin, and looks like a good approach is to use Cabot’s New Timber Prep, followed by Cabot’s Deck Clean, cut, build the shelf then coat with timber oil

minhletn
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL,

I’m back with more question

Can I use Merbau for the frame and Cypress https://www.bunnings.com.au/68-x-19mm-2-4m-screening-cypress-dar_p0064538 for the panels that directly support the plant pots?

Reduce the cost a bit and also take less time to prep the timber if Cypress can be coated with decking oil straight away

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Yes, you can @minhletn.

I used those Cypress timbers on a plant stand several years ago and they've held up exceptionally well in the weather, even without seasonal oiling or any protection.

Mitchell

minhletn
Growing in Experience

Getting Cypress DAR seems to be a challenge as it’s a special order item and the minimum quantity to order is 200 😅

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects