Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What joist size to use for low-level deck?

Zog
Cultivating a Following

What joist size to use for low-level deck?

Hi everyone. I have assembled the framing of the modular decking for my low level deck (see photos). What is in the photo is essentially a walkway, the main deck will be under the pergola and slightly higher. I've gained some confidence from what I've done so far and am considering using tuffblocks and building a framework rather than using the modular decking for the main deck. My question is just about the joist size. I'm not going to use a bearer and joists system, just a framework of joists, mainly because the Pergola is already there (before I bought the house) so I need to preserve the ceiling height of the pergola as much as possible.

I'm unsure about joist size and span of tuffblocks. The Tuffblock website has an article where they're using 2"x6" (45x150) joists, I've seen joists of 45x90 used in Australian based articles and the joists of the Good Times modular panels from Bunnings are 45x70. I'll probably use 140x19 merbau decking.

The pavers will be staying, they're not perfectly level, a small part of the deck will be on soil (the far sides in the second photo).

The total size of the main deck will be about 6.4m x 7.4m or 47.36 m2. It's a lot bigger than any articles I've seen about building a  low level deck. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Deck 1.jpgDeck 2 .jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What joist size to use for low-level deck?

Hi @Zog,

It all depends on the type of edge design you'll be doing. Will you be having the fascia at the same level as the decking panel to create a small thin finishing edge? Would you prefer having an overhang? I suggest having a quick look at the Top 10 most popular low-level deck projects. You'll see some excellent examples of low-level deck edge profiles. I also recommend looking at this guide How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. You'll see a combination edge finish in that guide. 

For example, if you were having an overhang past the fascia that would technically be the thickness of the fascia plus your desired overhang. The same thing would apply lengthwise. In regards to the fascia, it is usually screwed on to the side of the decking frame. To be more specific, a minimum of two screws at the end and two more supporting screws along the length of the fascia every 600mm. For aesthetics to try line the screws up with the screw lines on the top of the deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects