Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the most suitable saw type to cut decking boards, including 45d angle?

Cam88
Just Starting Out

What is the most suitable saw type to cut decking boards, including 45d angle?

I'm a novice DIYer and want to invest in either a table saw, mitre saw or similar, primarily for cutting hardwood decking boards to replace my deck. Will be getting help from a carpenter mate initially to teach me method, but will be doing it in stages and would like to right tool for the job from the start. I will no doubt use the saw for other odd jobs later, but this is the primary purpose. 

The decking boards need to be cut at 45 degrees, to replace the existing layout (i am keen to keep this design), so the saw needs to be able to cut angles easily. 

PXL_20230612_040325475.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Most suitable saw type to cut decking boards, including 45d angle.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cam88. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting decking boards.

A compound mitre saw is what will allow you to cut lengths of timber at a 45-degree angle. However, you'll find it much easier and more proficient, and you'll get a better result if you lay all those boards slightly oversized and then come back and trim them to length in one go with a straight edge and standard circular saw. This is what the professionals would do and goes for your project or any other deck. You always lay the boards so they are hanging off the edge and trim them to size in place. It saves you from having to do multiple precise cuts to get similar results. Have a look at the first board on the left of your image compared to the next two. See how it's oversized? That's due to cutting the boards to length before placing them down. Check out this step-by-step guide on How to build a deck. In step nine, you'll see how I trim my oversized boards to length.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects