Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the difference between Merabu & Treated Pine decks?

rick6947
Getting Established

What is the difference between Merabu & Treated Pine decks?

Looking to build a deck on my backyard concreted porch (First time) was wondering if there is much difference between a Merabu deck and treated pine deck other than the cost and merabu being hardwood. A help on the pros and cons would be appreciated as i'm not sure what path to go down. 

Regards

Rick 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Difference between Merabu & Treated Pine Decks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rick6947. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting decking timber.

Treated Pine decking is a cost-effective and easy-to-work-with solution that can be coloured in various shades. If you're looking for budget decking, it could be a good option. Being a treated softwood, you must ensure that it is sealed adequately, as any lapse could lead to the early onset of decay. Also, as a softwood, you can expect natural wearing of the timber, including dents and scratches.

On the other hand, Merbau has a unique grain and lovely deep natural colouring and is comparatively highly resistant to decay, weathering and general wear and tear. With periodic oiling, it will last for many years. If it does become aged, it can be sanded and re-surfaced to return it to its original state. The only real con to Merbau is that it needs to be stripped of tannins before being oiled. Nowadays, that's not so much of an issue, and you can do this in a day with Cabot's New Timber Prep

You'll note that most of our Top 10 most popular decking projects are constructed with Merbau timber.

You've mentioned that the deck will be on your concrete porch. If this is a low-level deck over concrete with limited airflow through the structure, I recommend using hardwood decking. You might like to read this article on How to build a low-level deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply and great advice i was learning more towards Merabu so think thats the best option.

Regards 

Rick

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @rick6947, and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchell ,

I have begin measuring for the deck and discovered that the exterior from my laundry door on the porch is not square just wondering if there is a way around this as haven’t dealt with the issue before?4A4F09DE-9765-4E72-B7FA-EA5C685A4424.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rick6947

It all comes down to how you want your decking panels laid out. If you are putting it down with no picture frame and you are starting your layout from the outside going in then the last panel will have to be cut down to fit. Generally, the decking frame is adjusted in the planning stage to take this into account. This means that should the last panel need to be cut down, only a small portion of it will need to be cut. 

Would it be possible for you to post a sketch of your decking plan and how you plan on laying down the decking panels? This will give our members a chance to assess the layout. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects