Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to attach posts to Colorbond fence for elevated festoon lighting?

klsx2001
Just Starting Out

What is the best way to attach posts to Colorbond fence for elevated festoon lighting?

image.jpg

Hi there! Hoping to get some wisdom from this community. 
I am looking to install festoon lighting on this Colorbond fence (crossing back to the home). I want to elevate the lighting so that it about 1-1.5m above the fence line.

What is the best way to attach posts to do this? What materials should the post be and what types of screws should I use to attach to the Colorbond fence?

Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to attach posts to Colorbond fence for elevated festoon lighting?

Hello @klsx2001 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about attaching extension posts to your Colorbond fence.

I suggest using 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m and anchoring it to the Colorbond post with Zenith 12G x 65mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws - 50 Pack. It's important that the post be mounted on the post only, I don't recommend mounting the post on the fence panel as the screw head will protrude to the other side and pose a safety risk. I recommend a minimum of four screws per post.

I then suggest painting the timber post to match your fence colour. Please keep in mind that the post is only strong enough to hold the festoon lighting and excessive loads will pull the timber post off the fence.

Another option would be to dig a hole and install a fence post. This would be a stronger mounting point for the festoon lighting.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
klsx2001
Just Starting Out

Re: What is the best way to attach posts to Colorbond fence for elevated festoon lighting?

Thanks EricL! This is incredibly useful. Couple of questions - do you recommend aligning the pine to the bottom of the post such that the height to hang the lights would be 2.4m? Or do you reckon we can go higher to 3m? What is a good height to hang those lights from generally? Thanks mate!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @klsx2001,

Just wanted to give you the heads-up that Eric will be back on the site this afternoon and able to assist then. 

I'm also curious as to whether you have had a chat with your neighbours to make sure they are happy with your plans. 

Jason

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @klsx2001 

If the wiring from the fence extends to higher points on the property - it wouldn't need to be too high on the fence?

Where else will the lighting extend to?

Cheers!

20230914_111857.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @klsx2001 

Since the timber post is 2.4m meters long, it is officially as tall as the ceiling inside your house. It is possible to make it taller by moving the post upwards, keep in mind that the average person is about 1.6m to 1.7 meters tall and if the festoon light droops down a bit it will probably go down about half a meter. But if you install a galvanized wire as a guide, it will keep the festoon lights in a straight line, and you won't have to install it a very high.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects