Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What drill bit do i need for a steel frame house?

Mazzistar75
Just Starting Out

What drill bit do i need for a steel frame house?

Hi all, I purchased a Eufy Doorbell from Bunnings on the weekend and went to install it yesterday but am having trouble drilling the holes. I used a Makita hammer drill and it has gone part way in but then seems to get stuck.  The house is steel frame so am not sure if that is the issue ? 
would love some advice please . 

image.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What drill bit do i need for a steel frame house?

Hi @Mazzistar75,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The proximity to the doorway and the knowledge that it is a steel frame house makes me think it is likely that it is a steel frame house.

Steel can be drilled through with most drill bits, however in my experience, cobalt drill bits are the best for drilling through hard metal.

Ensure the drill is not on hammer mode and set your drill to a high torque setting. Start slowly, applying consistent pressure and then speed up as you get comfortable.

Once the steel has been drilled through, you can insert the plugs and install the doorbell following the manufacturers instructions.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects