Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What concrete mix for outdoor kitchen concrete benchtop?

indi
Finding My Feet

What concrete mix for outdoor kitchen concrete benchtop?

Hi Team, I'm building an outdoor kitchen and planning to build concrete countertops. Youtube videos shows many options which are bit overwhelming. Can you please suggest concrete mixes I can use? Trying to achieve a smooth finish. Thanks legends!

Re: What Concrete Mix for Concrete benchtop?

Thank you all for your support. I also thought that we could probably just make our own concrete mix with 1 part  Ivory Cement   2 parts  white sand and 3 parts aggregate  + additive . Do you think this could works? Or should I add any other products,  like concrete hardener?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @virginia1985 

I propose doing a test as @Dave-1 has suggested. I recommend doing a standard paving size of 400mmx400mm to the thickness of the benchtop you are trying to create. The test will reveal two things, and that is its strength and its actual finish.

If you are leaving the timber support at the bottom of the slab, it would add extra support for your concrete benchtop. You'll immediately be able to tell if your proposed mix will be strong if you don't see any micro fractures in the concrete body and surface.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Damo_23
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, what concrete do you recommend if I want polished concrete top to expose the stone? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Damo_23 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

I can only suggest using Easy Mix 20kg 55MPa Super Strength Concrete as this is what was used in the Concrete tabletop project by @markw. You'll also note that the panel used was a very flat melamine panel which produced a very flat surface. Have a quick read of the steps that were taken to produce a nice-polished surface.   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects