Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What alternatives to concrete pathways around the house?

Joy36
Just Starting Out

What alternatives to concrete pathways around the house?

I have just moved into my new transportable home, which is built on piers and then they are enclosed by a stucco "skirt" - but I have been told I should put a 1 metre wide pathway around the house. I have just received a quote of $15K. This is just beyond me however I have been warned I need to keep any water at bay. 

Is this really an expense I will have to bear, or is there a more feasible alternative to achieve the same outcome. I have no building or landscaping experience and would have to employ someone to undertake any alternative. Also, what trade would this work come under? Please and thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What alternatives to concrete pathways around the house?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Joy36. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a pathway around your home.

If the manufacturer has specified a concrete pathway, it's likely due to its ability to effectively manage water flow away from your home, helping to prevent issues with water pooling beneath the structure. While it is an important part of maintaining your home’s foundation, I understand that $15K is a significant expense.

There may be other approaches to achieve a similar outcome while staying within the manufacturer's guidelines. For example, you could explore the possibility of using more cost-effective materials like gravel or compacted road base, which might reduce the cost. You could also look into installing a slotted drainage system (ag pipe) around the perimeter, which would help direct water away from the house. However, before proceeding with any alternatives, it's essential to confirm with the manufacturer that these options would meet their requirements.

For this kind of work, I would recommend contacting a landscaper or a contractor experienced in drainage and site work to discuss alternative materials or solutions that might fit within your budget while still complying with the manufacturer's specifications.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects