Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Under pool deck storage

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Under pool deck storage

I was given the task to turn a wasted space under an above ground pool deck in to useable space for pool toys, furniture cushions and other items. It didn't have to be waterproof, just weather resistant phew!

Here's how it was done.

IMG_6344.jpeg

Steps

Step 1

I cleared the area and made a suspended frame about 50mm off the ground with the 70mm x 35mm treated pine fixed with 75mm gal nails.

IMG_6087.jpegIMG_6088.jpegIMG_6090.jpeg

Step 2

I then fixed 70mm x 35mm battens to the underside of the deck joists packed with spaced to provide a fall left to right of a few degrees. I wasn't being to particular with the exact angle as its was difficult enough working in a compact overhead environment. 

I made the floor using lengths of the plinth board tacked with the 75mm gal nails then fixed in place with 60mm batten screws.

I lined 3 sides with the marine ply fixed in place with 35mm flat button head screws

The Suntuff sheets were fixed with the Suntuff fasters. but I had to rip the front layers by 250mm to fit the width needed. This was the most difficult part of the entire project.

The end of the Suntuff sheets hung past the rear panel and simply allowed water run off on to the garden

IMG_6182.jpeg

Step 3

Next I fixed plinth board to the external frame leaving gaps for a swing door and a drop down hatch for timber storage and a couple of old surfboards. 

IMG_6109.jpegIMG_6110.jpegIMG_6111.jpeg

Step 4

I lined the internal side of the outside wall with builder plastic doubled over and stapled in to place to provide some additional weather resistance.

A few days after completion it rained pretty heavily. I was pretty happy there were only just a few drips inside. 

IMG_6186.jpeg

Regards, Nailbag
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Under pool deck storage

Hi @Nailbag,

Thank you for sharing your project.

Another fantastic project to add to your growing list.

A simple, yet extremely functional space that will be perfect for storing those bits and pieces that need a bit of protection from the elements.

Congratulations on another job well done.

Jacob

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Re: Under pool deck storage

Thanks very much @JacobZ It looked pretty straight forward but balancing poly-sheets with both feet and one hand while the other drove the screws inn was quite a challenge. In. the end, it was a great use of a lot of dead space. 

Regards, Nailbag

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects