Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rental Balcony shading/netting?

SireeshaK
Community Newcomer

Rental Balcony shading/netting?

Can i use Backyard Farmer 10 x 10m x 5mm Anti Bird Net for netting balcony in a rental? what do i use to hang the shade / net from ceiling till floor, I am afraid no drills. I am planning to do this to avoid birds and insects coming in and build a garden with seating. The ceiling and walls are rough not smooth.
Please advise. Thank you!

balcony side 1balcony side 1balcony side 2balcony side 2balcony side 3balcony side 3balcony side 4balcony side 4

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rental Balcony shading/netting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SireeshaK. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing netting.

First, you'll need to check with your body corporate, building management, or property manager to find out whether any alterations to the balcony will be permitted. Typically, anything that changes the aesthetic look of the balcony, such as netting, requires approval. There's no point in doing all that work only to be told you need to take it down.

While anti-bird netting would help prevent birds from landing on the balcony, it won’t be effective against smaller insects. For that purpose, insect netting might be a better option, as it has a much finer weave designed to keep out even the smallest pests.

It's important to note that installing netting without using fixings can be very difficult. You’ll need to stretch the netting between secure points, which typically involves installing hooks or other types of fixings into the ceiling or walls. Given that this is a rental, drilling into walls or ceilings could be an issue, so once again, you'll need to discuss this with your property manager. They may have specific guidelines or restrictions, especially in cases where the walls are rough or uneven, which might further complicate the installation.

If drilling isn't allowed, you could consider temporary, non-invasive solutions such as tension rods or adhesive hooks, but these might not be strong enough to securely hold the netting in place, especially over a larger area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your quick response, Mitchell. I checked with our building management, and they are okay with shade unless the walls and paints aren't disturbed. What kind of adhesive tapes would you recommend? 

Any of the 3M self-adhesive hooks will have great difficulty attaching to any rough surface, including bricks, @SireeshaK. You could give them a try, but I don't think they'll be successful, especially when you go to put the netting taught. You'd really need to install hooks directly into the masonry and bricks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects