Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with Lilli Pilli infestation

Loxton
Finding My Feet

Need help with Lilli Pilli infestation

Hello, I would love if anyone could give me assistance in how I can get rid of whatever it is that is destroying the foliage on me Lilly Pilly hedge. There are clumps of leaves covered in like a spiders web in one group. And then I have another group which has lost all its foliage as it is in the shadow of the house.

I have taken samples to my local flower power and one guy said they are spiders and we should let them be and another said to keep spraying eco oil and conguard. But that hasn't helped either. I can't be the only person out there having these problems o would love to hear from anyone as to how they have won the battle.

1000005443.jpg

1000005444.jpg

1000005445.jpg

1000005446.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help with Lilli Pilli infestation

Hello @Loxton 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your Lilli Pilly hedge.

In my humble opinion, it depends on what kind of spider is nesting in your hedge. Spiders are beneficial for gardens, ecosystems, and homes due to their role in controlling pest insects. As key terrestrial predators, they consume tons of pests and small arthropods annually. 

However, spider mites are a different problem as they eat the leaves of the plant, and they are not good for its health. You can easily tell if it is spider mites as they are extremely small, literally like mites. Whereas a regular spider is often visible and relatively easy to spot. 

I propose focusing on the soil health of the hedge. I suggest aerating the area around the hedge with Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals and adding Scotts Osmocote 1kg Native Controlled Release Fertiliser. I also recommend having a look at this guide -How to grow and care for a lilly pilly.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric, I will follow your advice. I am interested to hear if @Noelle and @mich1972 have any further tips.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Loxton 

I'm in agreement with Eric's comments regarding spiders - they may inhabit your hedge but they will do no harm. They tend to collect dead material and spin threads to hold it together to form a protective home. The problem may be worse in situations like yours where the trees are very sheltered and not exposed to much sunlight.

The bare stems/trunks close to ground level and up to fence height are also a symptom of too much shade - the trees are growing quite tall trying to get to the light, and as they do they lose leaves on the lower limbs.

As Eric has advised, work on the soi without disturbing their roots and if you can, open up the area so the hedge gets more direct sun.

Thank you Noelle. The problem is that the Lilly pillys are supposed to screen from the neighbouring property and the spiders webs are causing gaps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Loxton 

Removing the spiders at this point will not produce immediate benefits. Plus, it becomes like an open invitation to harmful insects that the guardians of the tree have been removed. I propose giving your trees a chance to flourish by improving soil health. Once they start growing new branches and leaves, you'll get your cover back.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

All advice has been so helpful, thank you.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@Loxton 

I agree with Eric, at this stage it is more important to get the trees back on track by improving their overall health. I doubt it is the spider webs that are causing the gaps, rather the trees are struggling through lack of light and poor condition.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects