Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this a termite?

HelpMeDIY
Getting Established

Is this a termite?

IMG_4248.jpeg

I recently got a secondhand cubby house and today I started pulling it apart to rebuild it and noticed a few little black bugs that looked like ants but not really. They were about 4-5mm long.

Are they termites? What should I do?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is this a termite?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HelpMeDIY. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about identifying termites.

They look more like ants than termites. Termites are typically white or light brown in colour. Ants have a defined abdomen and thorax with a pinched waist, whereas termites have a head and then a bit of a blob body. Check out some comparison images to see this. 

Was there any obvious termite damage to the timber, such as frass or bored holes?

The insect in your images has all the characteristics of an ant. However, if you have issues with termites in your area, it might be best to enlist the services of a professional to assist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dee_harris11
Growing in Experience

They look like carpenter ants

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dee_harris11,

A Google image search makes me think you are absolutely right. Thank you for that information.

Allow me to tag @HelpMeDIY so they are notified of your response.

Carpenter ants can be detrimental in the same way as termites are. 

You can try using Gardener's Friend Ant Killer Dust in areas where you can see them entering your property, but it is likely best that you contact a pest control professional to assist.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

dee_harris11
Growing in Experience

I found 2 in the yard a few weeks ago.  It took me a couple of hours to work out what they were as I knew they weren’t inch ants.   The bodies are different and slightly hairy.   Not exactly what you want to find around your home 🤣

Thank you very much for your reply @dee_harris11

HelpMeDIY
Getting Established

Thank you @JacobZ I will contact a pest control expert to get their help.

Thank you for your reply @MitchellMc. I will contact a local pest control expert as we are in an area that is prone to termites… Glad they weren’t termites, but it definitely sounds like pesky pests we don’t want eating our house 😬

There actually was a bit of what looked like frass but there weren’t any bored holes.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects