Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof an existing tiled verandah?

PujDD
Getting Established

How to waterproof an existing tiled verandah?

Hi team, my existing tiled verandah sits on top of a ground floor living room. I've noticed in the recent weather that we have developed a leak in the living room ceiling. After some testing, I've confirmed that it's water on the balcony that is seeping through. When it rains, water runs along the grout lines closest to the edge, pooling at a point directly above the leak. 

Unfortunately my home insurance won't cover the repairs to the balcony due to the grout failure and any potential underlying membrane failure being classified as existing wear and tear. I don't really have the time or the funds to install a new membrane + re-tile the whole verandah at the moment. 

Is there a cheap and easy fix I can deploy to seal it up and prevent further leaking for another year or two, until I'm ready to do something more permanent? 

Most of the grout appears in reasonable shape. There is 1 line of grout which is cracking and showing signs of degredation. Photos attached.  

My plan is to:
Step 1 - clean all the grout with Davco Tile & Grout Cleaner.

Step 2 - Go over the existing grout with the Dunlop Ready to Go Ultra White to rejuvenate the colour. I was planning to go over the line of cracked grout rather than replace

Step 3 - Go over the grout with Dunlop Quick-Seal Grout Sealer. 

Am I on the right track here, or is there a better approach to take / better set of products to use? 

Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 4.26.01 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-09 at 4.27.13 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-09 at 4.24.27 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-09 at 4.23.20 PM.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Waterproofing an existing tiled Verandah

Hi @PujDD,

Thank you for your post about the waterproofing on your tiled verandah.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having issues with water ingress into your living room ceiling, this is surely a great frustration to you.

Unfortunately, this indicates that the waterproofing membrane beneath the tiles has failed, and it will need to be replaced. As you're aware the membrane needs to be fixed and this is only a temporary measure to stop further water ingress until you can get it fixed, I'm happy to offer some advice.

Your plan looks right on the money, but where there are hairline cracks, such as in the third photo, I would suggest you remove the cracked grout using a DTA Tile Scriber And Grout Remover and replace it altogether. 

Going over the crack with new grout will simply cover the crack, not erase it. Water can find a way in elsewhere and track along the crack underneath the layer of grout on top. For this reason, it's far better to replace it instead of covering it up.

You might like to check out How To Remove Grout and How To Refresh Tile Grout for some additional guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

PujDD
Getting Established

Thanks, @JacobZ . I'll replace that line of cracked grout. 

Before I go out and buy the products, I can see a whole line of Crommelin water sealers and repellants which seem to brush over the tiles and grout. Would any of these be more suitable than the Dunlop Quick Seal Grout Sealer? 

Given none of the tiles are cracked or loose, replacing the grout with epoxy grout has been suggested to me as an option when I'm ready to invest in a long term fix. This would be instead of replacing the entire waterproofing membrane. Do you have any thoughts on this? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PujDD,

Crommelin produces a variety of waterproofing products, but none are suitable to be painted over the top of tiles.

The products you have selected are going to be the best options for your temporary repair.

I'm sorry to inform you that there is no long-term fix other than removing the tiles and replacing the waterproof membrane. 

Unfortunately, if water is getting into your property through a damaged membrane, anything other than replacing it is a band-aid fix that conceals a bigger issue. Water getting into your home will rot timber, rust out fixings and cause major structural issues if not addressed. 

It can be a costly exercise, but the only way to completely resolve water entry issues, and to give yourself peace of mind that your home is watertight, is to have the membrane replaced.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

PujDD
Getting Established

Thanks Jacob, understood and agreed. I'm looking for the most effective band aid solution to prevent exacerbating the problem whilst I figure out my options for permanent repair. 

Thanks for letting me know that the crommelin products aren't suitable. 

Last question, do you have any thoughts on utilising the CPC Shower Plug product? I saw this guide: https://www.cpcproducts.com.au/blog/balcony-waterproofing-guide-diy/ . In your opinion, would it provide a better, worse, or comparable result to using the Dunlop Quick-Seal Grout Sealer? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PujDD,

If you are looking for one product that can simply be painted over everything instead of localised on the grout lines, CPC 1L Shower Plug Sealant will do a good job. It comes at a higher cost than the Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer, but its application would certainly be easier.

Just make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and wear any necessary personal protective equipment.

Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Jacob

PujDD
Getting Established

Hi @JacobZ 

On closer look, the 3rd pic with the cracked "grout" appears to actually be some form of silicon. I'm guessing it's an expansion joint and I actually have to silicon that back up. Is that right? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PujDD,

You would be correct that it is silicone and is there to act as an expansion joint, sorry for missing that.

I'd suggest removing it with a utility knife and replacing it with a grey external silicone such as this Sika 300ml Misty Grey Tile Silicone

You might like to have a look at How To Silicone a Gap for some guidance on the process.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects