Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to utilised wasted space at side of the house?

AilsaJane
Finding My Feet

How to utilised wasted space at side of the house?

We recently bought little 3br ex housing commission. this is the side gate to side of house that obviously held parked car. The space gets very little sun.only a small car can fit and there is a Sandow to dining room that overlooks space that we don’t want to loose light from. The window coverings we keep partially closed as our neighbour can see in .

IMG_3763.jpeg

we don’t know whether to put in carport( like neighbours) and then some kind of shed/storage space or make this into a garden space. Would love ideas/thoughts from the community.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to utilised wasted space at side of the house?

Hi @AilsaJane,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you join us.

It's very exciting to see you've got such a clean slate that you can transform in so many different ways. 

As you've indicated you want to keep what little light you can get, I'd avoid installing a carport or large shed. 

Maybe something like this Pergola for outdoor entertaining by @Shay could be a beautiful addition to the space.

You might also like to include a small shed on a simple base such as this Garden shed on a semi-permanent base from @riziqbl.

You could have gardens, you could have an outdoor entertaining area, maybe even a small deck. The possibilities are endless, and it all comes down to what you would like from the space. 

Allow me to provide you with some resources that might give you some ideas for the upcoming transformation project:

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any inspiration they can offer, @diy_hausdesigns, @marliemakesit, @pete_brig, @homeinmelbourne.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @AilsaJane 🖐

Carports can require permits depending on size, proximity to fence lines, height and what they are attached to, have you considered a shade sail? 🤔

- Protects vehicles from sun
- Protects from intense sunlight
- Doesn't completely block lighting to windows
- Easy to install 
- Can add another layer of privacy from Neighbours

DIYGnome_1-1719283105823.png

Thank you that’s great suggestion 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @AilsaJane 

Thats a nice area to modify :smile: 

Have you seen the area in summer yet? The side of my house atm is cold and shadowed but come summer time the sun really hits the area.

You could add a latticed extension panel to the top of your fence to give you the privacy or install some posts and mesh to grow a vine along the top of your fence. 

Your bricks on the driveway look solid (no ruts in them) So unless you are 100% sure of not wanting the space for a car (or parties) id maybe leave them insitu for now. You could even pave/brick the bit inbetween?

You could put some posts in and beams across to the side of your house, have a pullable curtain on wires as a roof topping so you can cover if you are using the space but leave it open when you want every ounce of warmth. If you look for retractable canopy on google you will see a bunch of types that may work.

As usual I have forgotten plants :smile: But ones in large pots or even purpose made square timber raised gardens could work. Think of orange trees with white painted trunks in these square garden beds. 

Dave

@Dave-1  Thank you for the ideas. 
I haven’t seen in summer so really good point you’ve made. We moved in in April. 
the bricks are in good order I’ve added another photo so you can see the side fence and next door house- privacy is important to us. 

image.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @AilsaJane 

Blue - Timber structure to support the canopy/shade

Red - Extension added to your fence so you can have your window open

Light green - wire for the canopy to slide on

White,Brown and green. Tree in timber enclosure. :smile:

Driveway modb.jpg

hahahah I just saw @DIYGnome's post and yep thats a good idea as well :smile:

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AilsaJane,

To add to @Dave-1's design, you might like to have a look at the Lattice Makers Fence Extension or Matrix Charcoal Slat Extension Fence for some possible options to increase the privacy of this side yard.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects