Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update a dated pool area?

Charlie4
Just Starting Out

How to update a dated pool area?

image.jpg

Our pool area is very dated. Is there a way that I can paint this printed concrete without having to grind it down? I don’t mind the pattern. Can the coping tiles be painted too? We were quoted $10,000 just to change the coping tiles. It’s way out of our budget. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to update a dated pool area?

Hello @Charlie4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about updating your stencilled pool area.

I propose having a quick look at this discussion - How to paint a stencilled driveway? by @coads. My team-mate gave a very thorough explanation of the possible consequences of painting over a stencilled surface. Looking at the photo you posted, I can see those parts of the stencilled sealed surface that has given way, but the others are still holding strong. It can only mean that the sealer for those parts are still intact.     

In the discussion the Berger Jet Dry 4L Heavy Duty Deep Paving Paint was suggested as a possible coating for the stencilled surface. The surface was supposed to be pressure washed and acid etched to prepare the surface. However, if any part of the original sealer does not get removed the paint will not properly bind itself to the surface and thereby causing it to fail. Your pool coping could be a different matter altogether as it might have a matt semi-glazed finish on its surface. If it does, then it's possible that it can't be painted at all.

As a possible alternative, I suggest thinking about covering the stencilled area with a low-level deck or pavers.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects