Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn an alfresco into an indoor living space?

theo2
Just Starting Out

How to turn an alfresco into an indoor living space?

Hi everyone,

I have recently built a new house and have added an optional alfresco to the building plan with the purpose of turning it into another living area. 

At the moment there is a concrete slab with the roof extending over it. The approximate dimensions are 3.15 by 2.79 m (photo attached). 

I'm a total beginner with this story of thing so any advice would be great. I'm planning on having glass doors on all three sides and installing laminate timber om the floor.  What would be the best process to do this? 

1000027368.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to turn an alfresco into an indoor living space?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @theo2. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about converting an outdoor space.

First, I’d recommend consulting a licensed builder to ensure everything complies with the National Construction Code. Since outdoor spaces aren’t built to the same standards as indoor areas, it’s important to have professional guidance before starting. 

Once you’ve got the go-ahead, you’ll need to frame out the walls between the roof pillars. This can be done with timber or steel framing, and it’s a good idea to discuss the framing options with your glass door supplier to ensure everything will fit correctly and meet structural requirements. After the framing is in place, you can move on to installing the glass doors. From there, it’s important to add insulation and sarking to make the space comfortable, followed by cladding to finish off the walls. Lastly, you can lay your laminate timber flooring to complete the transformation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a bunch Mitchell. 

Would I leave the laminate flooring to last and have the walls installed first if I were to get the go ahead? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @theo2 

That would be a good sequence of events, have the walls built first and install the flooring last so that there will be no chance of it getting damaged by any other installation jobs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects