Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Pine battens for external use?

RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

How to treat Pine battens for external use?

Hello Bunnings workshop.

I recently bought these pine battens to make an outdoor screen, thinking that I could easily apply some stain or varnish to protect & make them weatherproof. However I now realise that this may not be possible as they haven't been properly permeated like treated pine.

As a pre-coat I used Feast Watson timber primer . (saw on a previous thread here).

I was wondering if you could recommend a topcoat that will help with weatherproofing. But also not make it yellow like oil does.
Or is there a white wash I could use for this? ( I still want to keep some timber grain)
From what I have read, some/most Polyurethane clear coating also turns pine yellow?

I understand this is not the best timber for outdoor use and I should have done some homework before purchasing. But I don't want all this timber to go to waste.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ronald

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 10.41.43 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat Pine battens for external use?

Hi @RonaldAce,

I'd recommend going for Intergrain Ultraclear as it doesn't have the same honey-coloured hue as an oil-based product. However, yellowing over time was really an issue many years ago when oil-based polys would yellow extensively, but that's not so much of an issue now. Regardless, the Ultraclear water-based would be the clearest coating to apply over the Feast Watson 1L Timber Primer and won't yellow over time. Just make sure to coat all surfaces of the timber to ensure water can't enter their surface.

I'm not aware of any whitewashing products that would provide protection from the weather.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

Thanks for getting back to me @MitchellMc and for your handy advice.

Would this product work just as well? https://www.bunnings.com.au/intergrain-1l-tint-base-ultradeck-timber-decking-stain_p1520419
Was looking to potentially stain it a lighter colour.

Thanks again
Ronald

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RonaldAce 

I'm sorry but Intergrain 1L Tint Base UltraDeck Timber Decking Stain is a timber stain only. Whereas Intergrain UltraClear Satin Exterior Timber Varnish is a tough, clear, water-based timber finish for use on window frames, doors and trims. Incorporating UV absorbers, UltraClear Exterior provides superior protection against Australian weather conditions. It's easy to apply, fast-drying, low odour and unlike oil-based coatings, it will not yellow. Plus, it can be applied over Intergrain UltraDeck Timber Stain to give a satin finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RonaldAce
Growing in Experience

Thanks for clarifying @EricL
Yes, I'll definitely be applying UltraClear Exterior over the stain.

Thanks again.

Ronald

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects