Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile over exterior stair platform CFC sheet?

HandymanDv
Just Starting Out

How to tile over exterior stair platform CFC sheet?

I wish to tile an exterior CFC sheet platform at the top of the stairs 1200 x 900mm what procedure should I use

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiling over exterior stair platform CFC sheet 1200 x 900

Hi @HandymanDv,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The basic procedure when tiling is to work out the exact mid point of the tiled area and work outwards from there. This will allow you to get even cuts on either end and give you the cleanest look possible.

Once the area is marked out, you will need something to cut the tiles. My suggestion is to hire a 600mm Hand Tile Cutter. These work by scoring the face of the tile with an abrasive disk and then snapping them along this score line.

You should then use a high quality tile adhesive such as Dunlop Mastic Tile Adhesive applied to the fibre cement sheet using a notched trowel. You should also "back-butter" the tile, by adding a thin layer of tile adhesive to the back of the tile. This helps to create a vacuum between the tile and the adhesive on the fibre cement sheet. When putting the tiles in place, you should apply pressure to "break the ridges" and ensure a fantastic bond between the two surfaces.

Ensure you use cross spacers to get even spacing between your tiles and check for level with a spirit level.

You might like to check out How To Lay Floor Tiles for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects