Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove fungus that is rotting my timber deck?

LE2
Just Starting Out

How to remove fungus that is rotting my timber deck?

My pool timber deck is only 8 years old but has an orange fungus which I can't get rid off, even with bleach- It keeps coming back. 

Redoing the whole pool deck will be so costly. 

Any suggestions would be most appreciated ☺️🙏

Screenshot_20240311_160412_Gallery.jpg

1000005585.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove fungus that is rotting my timber deck?

Hi @LE2,

Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect solution for you. As decks are outside, and exposed to the elements, things can grow.

The only solution I have is to not get disheartened if it comes back and to use an outdoor cleaner such as 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate alongside a Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any advice, @Dave-1, @Noelle, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LE2 

I've used this mould killer product from Intergrain on a mates old deck we were trying to rejuvenate cheaply before putting the house up for sale. It worked really well then used their deck cleaning product with the deck and scraper brush. Just follow the introductions on the bottles.

If you use a pressure washer in the cleaning process just go very light on the affected areas as the strong stream of water digs the wood out very easily. 

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @LE2 

Have you sanded the deck at all in the process of trying to remove the fungus?

The second photo shows some loose screws so maybe you could try a not used area and then sand it and at the same time refix it down, then oil it in a short space of time ? Wait a month ans see if that orange fungus returns. I know It sounds like a long term process to sort but still cheaper then straight up replacement. (I just went through and redid my deck from grey timber back to a more coloured timber)

Dave

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Have to agree with @Dave-1  and @Nailbag , I'm afraid.  Some regular routine maintenance and sealing/oiling the decking timber would work wonders in keeping it clear of wood rots and moulds.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects