Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile a limestone wall?

gphill
Finding My Feet

How to tile a limestone wall?

I have a limestone wall at the end of a swimming pool that has started to deteriorate and has holes in the limestone, is there a way to tile the wall?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to tile a limestone wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gphill. We're pleased to have you join us.

Can we please trouble you for some photos of the wall so members can see what you are working with and be in a much better position to suggest next steps.

Please let us know if you need a hand uploading some images.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

No worries. Will do this evening.

gphill
Finding My Feet

20241015_174006_100.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gphill,

Many thanks for that image. Yes, you can tile over limestone, but it's important to prepare the surface properly to ensure the tiles adhere well. Limestone is a porous material, so you'll need to clean it and then apply PM render to ensure a smooth surface suitable for the tile adhesive to bond to. This avoids any issues that could affect the adhesion of the tiles in the future. This render is suitable for up to 10mm in thickness. If you have holes deeper than that you might need to fill them separately before rendering.

Once the render has dried apply Ultraprime over it.

For tiling, you'll want to use a high-quality tile adhesive. I'd recommend Davco SMP Evo Tile Adhesive. It's flexible and formulated for outdoor use, making it a good option for a range of tiles, including ceramics, porcelain, and natural stone.

Make sure to follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

Much appreciated.

Glenn

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects