Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to temporarily anchor bottom of pillar balcony screen?

San_Dee
Community Newcomer

How to temporarily anchor bottom of pillar balcony screen?

I'm renting so need to find a better solution so the shade cloth screen doesn't become a sail in the wind. Balcony is L shaped and faces NNE and ENE. The balcony receives direct sun, rain, and frequent sea breezes/winds so needs to be a solution that is UV resistant and durable. Currently attached with the included poly rope but it doesn't stop the screen becoming a sail in the wind. 

The Pillar screen pictured is too high/wide for the balcony and I can't wrap the screen any further over the top railing due to strata by-laws (or swap it so it's wrapped over the other face). I'd like to lower the screen so it's not wrapping over the top rail and anchor the excess to the tiled balcony floor on my property side rather than over the lip (not allowed). 

Is there some strong but semi-temporary adhesive that could stick some sort of anchor plates outdoors that is reasonably resistant to UV, rain and salt dewy air (ie able to be removed with solvent)? Otherwise, I'm guessing weights of some kind are the alternative but how much weight would I need to stop the screen becoming a sail in the wind? 

1000021741.jpg

1000021743.jpg

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to temporarily anchor bottom of pillar balcony screen?

Hello @San_Dee interesting dilemma... the shade cloth I note already has eyelets fitted to it's lower edge, instead of running the rope/cable horizontally along it's length feed it through and under the lower railing edge and back up and into the next eyelet working along it's entirety, this is how Business banners are fitted to frames, have a look the next time you are near a Cafe or Restaurant, the planter boxes are an awesome idea👍

Screenshot_20240928-042344_Chrome.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects