Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to temporarily anchor bottom of pillar balcony screen?

San_Dee
Community Newcomer

How to temporarily anchor bottom of pillar balcony screen?

I'm renting so need to find a better solution so the shade cloth screen doesn't become a sail in the wind. Balcony is L shaped and faces NNE and ENE. The balcony receives direct sun, rain, and frequent sea breezes/winds so needs to be a solution that is UV resistant and durable. Currently attached with the included poly rope but it doesn't stop the screen becoming a sail in the wind. 

The Pillar screen pictured is too high/wide for the balcony and I can't wrap the screen any further over the top railing due to strata by-laws (or swap it so it's wrapped over the other face). I'd like to lower the screen so it's not wrapping over the top rail and anchor the excess to the tiled balcony floor on my property side rather than over the lip (not allowed). 

Is there some strong but semi-temporary adhesive that could stick some sort of anchor plates outdoors that is reasonably resistant to UV, rain and salt dewy air (ie able to be removed with solvent)? Otherwise, I'm guessing weights of some kind are the alternative but how much weight would I need to stop the screen becoming a sail in the wind? 

1000021741.jpg

1000021743.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to temporarily anchor bottom of Pillar balcony screen (it's too long for the balcony)

Hi @San_Dee,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fabulous to have you with us.

I'd suggest using a stainless-steel eye plate and carabiner for each eyelet, attached to the ground with some Scotch-Mount Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape.

This is an extremely strong, weather-resistant double-sided tape that will anchor the screen well but will still be removable with a scraper when the time comes.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any other ideas, @DIYGnome, @Noyade, @Dave-1, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

San_Dee
Community Newcomer

Re: How to temporarily anchor bottom of Pillar balcony screen (it's too long for the balcony)

Thanks for the quick response! That sounds like it's probably the way to go. There's maybe about 10cm excess once I drop the screen down a bit from the top rail. Would I need something like shade cloth clips and attach them to the anchor plate if there's too much excess? I'm hoping to make it look semi flush with the balcony fence but that might be something that's sacrificed to ensure it's taut and safely anchored. 

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have a second Pillar balcony screen to cover the other balcony fence but figured I needed to find a better solution for the bottom of the screen before I attach the other one. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @San_Dee 

How about attaching the shade cloth screen between two horizontal lengths of timber. I would actually do it in sections just so its not a huge clumsy issue to install.

So a Length of timber with Coolaroo Black Timber Fasteners - 50 Pack - Black tacked along it. 

Then the height of the rail

And then another length of timber with the fasteners. 

This you can fasten to just below the handrail on the inside with 4 large cable ties along the length. The bottom can be fastened to the posts themselves via cable ties or through the shade cloth and around two of the vertical upright pieces of metal for the handrail.

For added niceness to teh overall look you can tack the shade cloth with the fasteners and then roll the timber over once so the material covers the fasteners. Onthe bottom you work in reverse to the way you wound the material on top. Imagine an S (shape end on) with the high and low points where the timber sits

Dave

San_Dee
Community Newcomer

Ah! Timber is a great idea as I wouldn't have to use adhesive and it's durable without being clunky like weights would be. I'm thinking maybe foregoing using timber along the handrail as it's aged plastic (c. 1990). I do see the probable need for bracing though, as each fence is approximately 5m long and has a small section to the W (see further

Image). Hmmm... 

1000021739.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @San_Dee,

Having thought about it a bit more, if you could deal with the bottom edge of the screen not being all the way to the ground, could you simply fold the bottom edge up and poke cable ties through the screen and the eyelets and secure the bottom edge to the bottom rail of the balustrade?

There are clear and cream-coloured cable ties such as these Crescent 200 x 4.6mm Natural Cable Ties which would blend in fairly well and unless your strata committee is particularly difficult, would not alter the appearance of your balcony in a significant way.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

San_Dee
Community Newcomer

That's the fall back option but I'm hoping to cover the gap between the bottom rail and the balcony tiles as the neighbour is frequently outside and can see straight into my lounge room 😕 The screen has meant I don't have to worry about moving a curtain across and limiting light or to get extra privacy at dusk, especially not having to shut my curtains as soon as it gets dark.

I had originally considered getting the Pillar roll of shade cloth and cutting it to fit the balcony fence but wasn't satisfied about the gap at the bottom 😕

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Completely understand @San_Dee.

Just a thought, but perhaps some well-positioned trough planters alongside the shade sail could be a nice option.

It would help to block the view inside as well as bring some beauty and life to the space.

Jacob

San_Dee
Community Newcomer

Plants are definitely a great idea! I initially thought of a trough for the section directly facing the other apartment but getting even that amount of mature screening hedge/plants is quite expensive. 

I will put some large pots in for growing some veggies but it won't be enough to cover the gap for the roughly 10.5m length 😕

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to temporarily anchor bottom of pillar balcony screen?

Hi @San_Dee I think @JacobZ has provided the perfect solution for the flat floor surface. I had another solution I use but only suits a deck with gaps between the boards. 

Nailbag. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects