Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water ingress under house through external brick wall?

approachmhn
Having an Impact

How to stop water ingress under house through external brick wall?

The external wall is single brick, I am getting water coming through the brickwork to crawl space under house when it rains .

I can get to both positive and negative sides of the water transfer.

Is there a suitable product to seal the wall on the outside or inside.

the upper part of external wall is rendered. So I think water ingress is through bottom where wall is not rendered and is covered by soil.

appreciate your suggestions

thanks.

IMG_6296.jpeg

IMG_6080.jpeg

Re: how to stop water ingress under house through external brick wall

Thanks @MitchellMc.

will check with drainage plumber as suggested. And then will do the drain coil and gravel myself.

will update here. 

Hi,

I did seal the wall with plastic throughout as in pic attached. And when it rained I noticed there is no water ingress or pooling on the other side of the wall.

Does that mean can I put concrete slab next to wall so that water flows away?

So I can avoid Agri drain and  cutting through driveway.

Appreciate your response. Thanks 

IMG_6576.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @approachmhn 

I understand that it feels like the plastic has deterred the flow of water towards your wall, but I believe that this is a stop gap measure. Eventually as the water flows to your garden and travels into the soil its natural inclination is to flow towards the lowest point and in this case it's your brick wall. It will travel beneath the slab and then meet up with your brick wall and you'll have the same issue again. I propose acting on the suggestions made earlier and that is to seal the wall and install the agi-pipe to provide maximum diversion to any incoming water that's headed towards your brick wall.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @approachmhn 

I agree 100% with @EricL on this, subsurface water will always keep on traveling, putting something in place to handle it even tho it cant be seen is the wisest option. If you spend a bunch of $$$$ on concreting without prepping your area it may come back to haunt you.

Dave

Thank you @EricL and @Dave-1 .

i will start with sealing the wall and the agi pipe as suggested. Will update as I progress 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects