Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

approachmhn
Having an Impact

How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

I have an old pipe that is not connected anywhere which is next to storm water pipe that runs towards road. 
The issue is when it rains, water comes out of this unconnected pipe and ground gets very damp in that area.

recently I dug that area and got plumber. Plumber put a cap to the pipe and asked me to monitor if water still gets out of  pipe when it rains.

i see it still slowly fills up the area meaning water is also coming around that pipe.

This unconnected pipe is under driveway which is concrete and solid. No gravel around pipe. So, I suspect the damage to pipe is very near to the opening.

my questions is

1) how do I check the damage

IMG_6357.jpeg

to pipe?

2) if pipe is not leaking or if I can fix that leakage, how do I connect unconnected pipe to storm water pipe so water would not flow back. Unconnected pipe is around 1-2 inch below storm water pipe. 

Appreciate your help.

Regards.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop ground water coming out from unconnected pipe?

Hello @approachmhn 

That is excellent advice coming from @Dave-1. The only thing I would add to the suggestion made is to use an Everhard Series 450 Stormwater Pit Case with a provision for an overflow pipe just in case you get a deluge. I propose looking at the Ozito 350W Dirty Water Submersible Water Pump as a possible pump for your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the information @Dave-1 

Going by this I still feel option 3 is better. A bit of work in pulling out some deck panels and digging to lay pipe.
The land is sloping down, so somewhere we should be able to connect it to existing storm water pipe.

Just need to do some more analysis.
It’s hard to decide now. Fingers crossed

:smile: @approachmhn 

Its always better to have a plan worked out, makes me breath easier when I am doing it and also as I tick off the stages.

One suggestion, if you are digging up anywhere think of laying a pice of pipe in as extra :smile: Orange underground PVC as a just in case you may want to run a cable, network, whatever through it down the track, minimal extra cost but man saved effort. When I did the lights in my fron yard I also ran an extra 50mm electrical conduit through all my cable pits just in case :smile: Havnt used it in the several years since I was installed it but its there in case I want say an electric gate :smile:

Dave

Thank you @Dave-1 . That’s a nice suggestion.

And thanks @EricL for showing me the right products.

I have got an idea. Need your advice to know how feasible it is.

If I take out all clay pipe from the ground.
Then install https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhard-series-450-stormwater-pit-case-only_p4771372 .  Connect both sides with a pvc pipe I.e water inflow pipe at low end of pit and outflow pipe at higher end of pit. 

This gives me enough gap and also slope to run the pipe under deck and connect to existing storm water pvc pipe.

So, I don’t have to use submersible  Pump. 
when water rises in the pit, it flows out through higher end.

attached photo from lower end of deck and also my not so perfect drawing.

IMG_6612.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @approachmhn 

The only thing that worries me is if the pit is overwhelmed with a large amount of rainwater from a strong storm. The pipe could get inundated with too much water causing a vacum lock. It's better to have a pump so that water is forced out out of the pit even in very heavy rain.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @EricL . Got it. 
Can it be solved if we put a larger pit?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @approachmhn 

I'm afraid not, you'll be eventually just making more room for water to collect in. 

Eric

Thank you @EricL.

The slope is about 1.2 m.

The other option I think of is take out 2-3 deck panels, run pvc pipe under deck and connect at a place where fall meets with other storm water pipe. 
Apologies, if I am asking too many questions. 
Just analysing scenarios before going for a fix. Thanks

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @approachmhn yes thats an excellent idea. Just remember that legally, only a licensed plumber should be making that final connection to the stormwater point.

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a good option, @approachmhn.  

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects