Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop decking board colour coming off?

beej1
Community Newcomer

How to stop decking board colour coming off?

Have bought wooden decking boards which have been put down but the colour has now stained our light colour porcelin tiles. How do you stop the cour coming off every time it gets wet!!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decking wooden boards

Hi @beej1,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

The colour that is coming off your decking boards is from the natural oils, known as tannins, leeching from the timber. Unfortunately, this is a natural process that is unavoidable and is why it's generally advisable to allow decking boards to weather before installation. 

You can use Cabot's New Timber Prep to remove the tannins before cleaning and coating your new deck. 

I'd suggest having a look at this handy video on Cabot's Youtube channel, How to Coat Your New Timber Deck in 1 Day.

You'll need the following:

You might like to check out How To Oil Your Deck for some guidance on the oiling process.

To remove the stains from the tiles, I'd suggest using this Davco Tile And Grout Cleaner alongside a Sabco Bamboo All Purpose Heavy Duty Scrub.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects