Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure trellis to Colorbond fence?

Mark2445
Just Starting Out

How to secure trellis to Colorbond fence?

Hi Bunnings Folk.

I need to secure a galvanised trellis to a colour bond fence. I’ve got some galvanised panel fixing clips, and was originally planning on using galvanised bolts with them, but now prefer to use aluminium pop rivets if I can. Means I won’t have to invade the neighbour’s yard to get the job done. Problem is the holes in the fixing clips are close to the diameter of the rivet flange, so I plan to use M6 backup washers. Question is, should the washers be galvanised, s/steel, or aluminium? Or maybe it doesn’t matter? Bit concerned about any electrolytic reaction and/or corrosion. I live in a coastal area where corrosion is a big problem.

Thanks in advance, Mark

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to secure trellis to Colorbond fence?

Hello @Mark2445 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your installation fixings. 

In conditions of low or moderate humidity, there are no conductivity issues between galvanized steel and stainless steel or aluminium. However, in marine environments and in conditions of constant high humidity, it is important to insulate galvanized parts from either aluminium or stainless steel. 

Just to be on the safe side, I propose spray painting the washers with a thick coating of Rust-Oleum 340g Stone Grey Satin 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint on both sides in the colour of your choice. This should provide enough insulation between the materials and provide a moisture barrier as well.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mark2445
Just Starting Out

Re: How to secure trellis to Colorbond fence?

Thanks EricL, much appreciated. Washers and brackets getting multiple coats of paint as I type. Bought several Jack 1900 x 600mm Grip And Grow Galvanized Freestanding Plant Trainers (from Bunnings, obviously!) and bent what would have been the legs to create hooks to hang over the top of the fence. All good, but until the climbers grow and add some weight, the trellis's rattle in strong winds. Don't want to aggravate the neighbours, so have leant bricks and pavers and stuff against them to stop the rattle - but the neighbours are friendly and don't mind a few pop-rivets - so that way I can get rid of the bricks and stuff, which are a bit ugly on our side of the fence. And because I don't need to use bolts (an earlier plan), I don't need to invade their yard to do up the nuts.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects