Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal house cracks outdoors?

davidc12
Finding My Feet

How to seal house cracks outdoors?

1000008234.jpg

I have ants coming into the house through a crack in the wall next to the Windows (see attached). Water also seeps in through this crack. Can someone provide clear steps and product recommendations for sealing it properly? I'm not very experienced with DIY projects, so detailed guidance would be greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal house cracks outdoors?

Hello @davidc12 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Its sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the crack in your wall.

There are a few types of fillers and sealers that you can use on the crack of your wall. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the crack further away? I can see the edge of it, but what is on the other side of the crack? As soon as we see the whole crack we'll be able to suggest which sealer is best for your situation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal house cracks outdoors?

Hi @davidc12,

I thought I'd add that silicone sealant can be used to fill gaps between the window and the wall. If the crack is quite large, it would be best to push a filler rod into it to take up some space and then silicone over it. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant

As well as filling the internal gap, you'll need to determine where the water is entering from. That could be some flashing that is missing or damaged. You must find the external leak or enlist the services of a professional to do so; otherwise, you risk damage to the internal structure of your wall.

Regarding the ants, my favourite product to use is Combat 50ml Ant-Rid Insecticide. It goes a long way, as you only require one droplet. Follow the trail of ants back to the wall and apply one drop where they can easily find it. You'll notice more ants appear and start collecting it. They'll take it back to the nest and destroy it.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects