Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gap between house and guttering?

Sirena
Finding My Feet

How to seal gap between house and guttering?

Hi there, what would be the best way to seal this gap between the roof of my pergola and the guttering of the house roof?

It pours through during heavy showers and

I'd ike to waterproof it to have a sitting area out there.

I've attached a photo looking up to show size of gap. Happy to use some sort or whatever, it's a very old house and not quite ready for big Reno's just yet. 

Go easy on me 🤣 first time poster and total novice. Thanks.

IMG20240910135545.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal gap between house and guttering?

Hello @Sirena 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about sealing the gap between your pergola and gutter.

One way to cover the gap is to place angled flashing above the join where your gutter and pergola meet. The flashing can be attached using blind rivets in combination with Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. When the rain falls it will fall on the flashing and get redirected towards the fall of the pergola. 

Another option is to install a plastic PVC gutter close to the gap. In this manner any water that gets through will be caught by the PVC gutter and directed to the fall of the gutter. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to close gap between pergola and gutter? by @jimmyr999.

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it and will check out the other post.

Cheers, Sirena

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Sirena 

Id like to offer a warm howdy and welcome to the Bunnings community pages :smile: Your question is perfect for within here!

It is an interesting problem as it looks like the tin roofing actually touches the gutter? If it dosnt how far below is the tin compared to the guttering? And does the tin pergolla roof slope much?

I like @EricL's solution. Tho think the angled piece may need to be attached to the gutter itself as the distance seems close. High side of angle against the gutter and the flat plane over the tin. Id go for a short vertical and a wide base. With the silastic, I would fill the valleys of the tin below the gutter to stop any water flow back towards the house. If there isnt much slope to the gazebo there could still be a bit of an issue but that can be sorted with more filling.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Sirena 

Measure the length of the leaking roof line and then measure from the roof to the lip of the guttering (height) The length, height and allow 75mm overlap over the roof will be the dimensions for the angled flashing you can order from your local plumbing supplies. It can secured in place using roof and gutter silicone.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 9.27.51 PM.png

Hi Dave, thank you so much for the welcome and advice!

Much appreciated! Thanks Sirena

Hi Nailbag 

Thanks.so much for your help! And for the illustration, so good to have a visual!  It gave me a better understanding 

Much appreciated!

Thanks Sirena

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects