Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal Eucalyptus wood?

AnthonyBonello
Getting Established

How to seal Eucalyptus wood?

Hi!

I have an outdoor, 2 seater daybed that is made of eucalyptus wood and finished with a natural oil seal (presumably linseed). 

It is brand new. I want to seal it with a Polyurethane based finish as this particular piece, whilst quite nice to look at, is very susceptible to water damage.

What type of PU sealant (or otherwise) should I use. I was erring towards ‘Cabot’s Cabothane’ but couldn’t find any information about its water permeability. 

I had also been recommended Cabot’s Clear Satin Exterior Finish but it says it is not suitable for outdoor furniture. 

Thanks!

Re: How to seal Eucalyptus wood?

Thank you all again! This has been most insightful as I am not the most handy person out there but more than willing to give something a go! 

I think I will use ‘Sikkens Citol Oil and Tannin Remover’ to help extract the old, cheap oil. Give the chair a really good clean. Then a light sanding down and then as you advised apply the ‘Sikkens Citol Clear Hardwood Oil’ or the ‘Cabothane Clear PU Finish’ to help with ongoing water resistance and maintaining the natural look of the eucalyptus. 

Hi @AnthonyBonello

Please make sure to take lots of photos. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the steps you'll be taking to revamp your outdoor furniture. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi  @AnthonyBonello   thanks for sharing  ‘Sikkens Citol Oil and Tannin Remover  tip   if you feel like you want to let it know if the oil is removed incase i buy  oiled furnature.

@TedBear  Just to follow  through  i re sikkened the out door seating plank that was done about 15 years ago first time,  All went well I did  orbital quick sand the plank 10 mins worth,  just to remove damaged marks on the wood but I didnt try remove in grained old sikkens product.

Well I also had the original sikkens can i used  for the first 2  coats and it  was sealed properly and when opened looked as normal and  ready to go after a quick shake/mix just in case.  

I slapped a quick coat on the timber on all 6 sides I took a  couple pics of the half  painted section  and the final coat as a  comparision.

Sikkens not gone off in tin after many years  yeah.

Half timber painted for comparision of old sikkens and fresh sikkens over coat,  

Half just painted compareHalf just painted compare

Sikkens  dried  1 hour later and when rubbed firmly  with white cloth there was  no  marks on cloth and it dries  with a semi gloss shine.  So I have confirmed to my self sikken s is easy to brush on and years later it is  easy to re apply a new fresh coat with optional sanding and  took minutes, good to go another 15 years.   I would  give the job a  final wet and dry sanding just to take off mirco spurs you get when you paint a quick light sand  480 grade wet and dry  My  sikkens was tinted so the more i apply the darker the timber stain as a side note.

1 hour later sikkens dry1 hour later sikkens dry

Thanks, that looks like a great product. I will take note for my future resealing of outdoor furniture.

Hi  @AnthonyBonello  I just wanted to make sure  we are on the same page as the worse thing about sikkens is there ultra  confusing labeling and many products.  I have learnt to trust many sikkens products to-date but I can not vouch personally for all of them yet.  If and sikkens products say oak or pine etc that means it is a stain.  Natural timber finish means clear.

The product I used is   Sikkens 1L Cetol HLSe Pine Timber Finish I/N: 1522431 $56.60 Please note this  has a LIGHT PINE COLouR STAIN  in it which  will slightly alter your furniture colour this works as I talked about.  I am thinking you don't want to alter furniture colour in any way so the following may suit your needs  best. I have no reservations to-date in using new variations in  sikkens products.                                             

The "no  colour stain" options for your needs Bunnings stocks are as  follows:  Clear finish Highly robust  moisture and UV  resistant. Yes  its a timber deck Finish but all that means is its tough as nails if you can walk on it.

Sikkens Cetol Deck 1L Natural Timber Finish I/N: 1580495  $57.20

Do you really need  1 litre ???  for 1 furnature think sample pots 1 or 2 of these should give you 1 to  2 coats. save you $$ on a full  litre.

Sikkens 100ml Natural Cetol Deck Timber Finish I/N: 1520466  $12.30

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects