Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a timber letterbox?

Courtney_1988
Finding My Feet

How to restore a timber letterbox?

Hiya all, 

I would like to give my letterbox a bit of a refresh..... However I have never carried out a project like this before. 

Could someone please give me a walkthrough on what I need to do? And what supplies I will need?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You :smile:

Screenshot 2024-10-09 131144.png

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Letterbox Restoration

HI   @Courtney_1988 

Great  little project you have there have fun doing it.

I think  that letter box would look great sanded back a bit and painted  "monument  colour as it will pop with  theplant around it and it is simple to do at low cost.

First undo the house numerals or buy some shiny new  numerals in  polished metal will pop  to.

I would buy a can of spray paint to match your choosen colour scheme and simply spray the mail opening and magazine  hole and no doubt the  rear mail  door .  take off anti junk mail sticker  first.   Tip buy new metal box  numbers and spray paint them same as  mail slot if you wish

Over spray is no an issue as next step is to paint the timber.

Use  240 Grit sand  paper all over the box rubbing away any loose bits . 2 sheets should do the trick.  (tip buy a small cork sanding block (paint section) to wrap the and paper as it dose a better sanding job.)

Buy a  paint brush  and  monument  paint ( or  your choice)  max sure it is acrylic uv safe outdoor  paint at paint shop.

You  will use less than 500ml for 2  coats. wash  brushh in water.

Buy 1 litre  paint if you have more similar proojects  near by to  match whole area   together as a an option.

Hope  this helps. I a m offto  paint my under eves. :smile:

Great to have you join us and receive some swift advice @Courtney_1988.

@Jewelleryrescue has provided an excellent guide to tackling your project. 

I think the main decision you have to make is whether you'd like to paint your letterbox or apply a stain or oil to showcase the natural timber. The latter option is typically preferred as timber is beautiful, but it requires a little more ongoing maintenance.

Let us know and we can provide any further tips you might need. 

Welcome to the community.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason :smile: 

I would definitely love to showcase the natural timber. 

I will also keep the trim colour and the already existing mail opening and newspaper slot!

Looking forward to some tips on how to do this.

Thank You. 

Then it would be best to sand the letterboax back as @Jewelleryrescue has mentioned @Courtney_1988. You can then coat the newly sanded timber with exterior timber oil. Give it a coat every one to two years to keep it looking it's best. The application will be very similar to that of doing a deck. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck.

It's a bit hard to tell what condition the trim is in. Does it need refreshing, too? And, if so, is it painted metal?

Mitchell

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to restore a timber letterbox?

Hi @Courtney_1988 

Great you want to preserve the wood and  restore wood  work :smile:

Well  to do a beautiful timber restoration is pretty much  the same as  painting it a colour but we will need to  sand the timber back to a higher quality to enhance its nateral appeal.

I would leave the letter box in place to work on it.  Some might   like to lift it up and completly dismantle the mail  and magazine slots that is alot of extra work for no real gains other than you can  work on it under cover possibly.

1  To  do this we  ideally need  to remove the numerals as per before to make sanding easier.  

2 Do you have a  palm sander (small sander with velcro pad  for small sand paper sheets)  I would recomend owning one for finer detailed project  work to make things easier.)  Or sand  paper wrapped around a sanding bock works too and keeps costs down just more elbow grease needed.

2 Buy some sand paper about 150 grit for move heavy sanding to take off old varnishs etc  then  change to 240 grit to re dress the timber surface  smooth ready for revarnishing .   Sand the timber until all the old varnish is removed and most of the visible blemishes in the timber are sanded out before you finish sanding with the smoother 240 grit paper.

I cant quite make out what the edge corner frame is Aluminium angle? If it is it may be helpfull to take it off before sanding for a better all round  job.

If it is aluminim or metal polish it with steel wool to clean it up better than sand paper.

3  Once you finished sanding to your satisfaction all round the letter box.

I highly recommend the following for many years of timber protection in full sun and weather.

Sikkens 1L Cetol TGL Gloss Plus Clear Timber Finish $58.85 In1522546

Make  sure  on the  bottom label  number reads  000  this means  clear with no  tint. EG walnut or pine etc unless you want a  stain  included.

• Microporous allowing the timber to breathe while repelling unwanted moisture
  • Flexible coating which expands and contracts with the timber
  • Wood grain remains visible after application
  • UV and weather resistant
  • Oil based
A two coat durable high gloss finish for doors, windows and frames. Provides durability, flexibility and transparency with minimal dirt retention.

TIP  With silkens apply multiple thin coats is the key for best results dont  let the coating pool excess as it wont look as nice.

Looking at  your letter box to me it might look  better with a timber top that over laps the letter box edges (like eaves on a house )
Or a  stone capping will give it timber and stone look adding a new dimension to your project depending what you  like/

enjoy your project which ever way it leads you. :smile:

Re: How to restore a timber letterbox?

Hello @Courtney_1988 

Just to add to the excellent suggestions made, I propose investing in a detail sander. This will allow you to get into the tight corners of your timber mailbox. If for example you were to choose the Ozito 200W Detail Sander, it would be very convenient as the set carries a packet of sanding pads included. Plus, it would greatly reduce your sanding time.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a heavy-duty dust mask when working on your project.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects