Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace front deck laid on tiles?

mrpatel
Growing in Experience

How to replace front deck laid on tiles?

I would like to rebuild our front decking and want some tips on how best to go about it.

The front decking we have is fairly old and worn and was laid floor tiles. Unsure how they screwed the deck boards in to the tiles, but appears that is what they did! We have taken a few quotes from various builders who recommended removing the tiles completely and then screeding.

Questions:

1 - Is it best to remove the old tiles completely and screed?

2 - How easy is it to screed? Will be my first time doing it.

3 - If I screed, what do I need to think about, what issues might I face based on what you can see in my pics of the decking?

4 - If I don't screed and lay on the tiles, how should I fix them down?

5 - What should I do about the step? Cover with long timber? That crack concerns me.

IMG_5829.jpegIMG_5834.jpegIMG_5833.jpegIMG_5832.jpegIMG_5831.jpegIMG_5830.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front Decking

HI @mrpatel,

You could certainly remove the tiles if you wish. Given that you'll be installing long lengths of timber over the surface, I'm not sure whether the missing tiles will actually affect their installation. If there is a low spot where tiles are missing, and the timber needs support, you can place some plastic spacers under it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mrpatel
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, 

I have finally got round to buying all the timber and decking I need to start this project. 

The shop where I bought the wood from mentioned it would be good to finish the decking off properly by creating a border, so I have bought the wood for those too. Appreciate your advice on if any of the steps you've mentioned already, for laying on to tiles, needs to change based on the border.

Thanks, 

Ash.decking.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It doesn't look like the steps would change @mrpatel. I'd suggest the border timber will be affixed vertically to the front face of the landing area. That will finish the deck off nicely and cover the exposed ends of the decking boards.

Was that all the decking timber? There doesn't appear to be much in the photo. Also, what were you using the treated pine decking for?

Mitchell

mrpatel
Growing in Experience

The decking timber is not long enough to go flush to the ends, I bought the desired length of decking to allow for a border on the top.

I do want to conceal the concrete though, so maybe I will need to buy more timber for that.

The treated pine is what the staff at the timber shop recommended for the joists.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A border on top sounds like a great Idea, @mrpatel. Thanks for confirming the use of the treated pine decking. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects