Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace footpath inspection cover?

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

How to replace footpath inspection cover?

Someone stole this plate. (*See photos) on my footpath and I have had Darebin council telling me its my responsibily and I have to pay for it. Its an inspection point for my storm water pipe I think. Where can I get one of these or something to close the hole?

20240812_125359.jpg

20240812_125013.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace footpath inspection cover?

Cheers for that @Punky100 

Whether they be screws or threaded bolts - unless you can lock this plate down, then nothing will stop another Suburban Melbournite from flogging it again - no?

Bunnings may have security bolts/screws - something like you see on car registration plates. Just something to consider.

Cheers.

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Oh yeah I have indeed been thinking of that and was thinking of the screws.  I reckon they would be more likely to steal the fancy antique ones 5 metres up than a plain steel one though. I will do my best to make it hard to steal. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Punky100,

We have a range of security screws that you could use.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

They look good Mitchell! @MitchellMc

While I wait for your tracing @Punky100 I've acquired 150mm X 5mm steel plate and welded two ends to accommodate what I think is around 170mm diameter, based on your tape measure photo above. Some white spray paint to help scribe.

I'm hoping to make the two attachment lugs from the curved off-cuts.

Cheers.

20240815_155642.jpg

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Awesome thanks so much for doing this. Please advise me of any material and postage costs

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

It's all good thanks @Punky100 

I love being outside and tinkering. I'm not a smart man - but I like trying to solve problems like this, plus it helps keep dementia away (I hope).

Unfortunately I have no 'workshop' and rain is predicted this weekend.

Sorry - no mail from you today.

Maybe next week. 👍

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening @Punky100 

I received your template in the mail today but could only manage a late start. Based on your paper cutout it appears to be 6 1/8" in diameter, or around 156 mm plus the bolt tags.

Just a thought - but being old and imperial I was kinda thinking 6" neat sounds likely? Just to confirm, is the paper template the outer edge of the cast iron plate or the inner edge of the cast iron fitting, that the plate sits in. There is a small gap in your photo above of the un-stolen fitting.

At the moment I'm going with 156mm.

I will get to it more on Wednesday. Cheers!

20240819_172122.jpg

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Hi Noyade I took about 2mm of all around the perimeter on my paper to ensure its not such a tight fit in case there are discrepancies . I would hate for it not to fit. A small gap between the lid and the seperate border would be fine in this case. The holes line up though. Im not sure of measurements as I did a tracing. 

Punky100
Cultivating a Following

Thanks that looks great so far thanks so much. If its the same size as the paper template it will fit as I tried ot in the hole

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening @Punky100 

Worked today - so only got a little time to grind the shape this afternoon. Ugly storm clouds are in the sky.

But I think I'm finished. I followed your template as best I could.

Went to the Post Office and got an envelope and will post it tomorrow.

Painted it white just now.

I'm not as confident as you - I think I only have to be 1mm out and it will not fit. Especially the bolt/screw hole placement.

I drilled out 6mm holes with a large countersink.

I'm drinking a wine to wish us success. 😉

Cheers!

20240820_171206.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects