Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a polycarbonate roof for a verandah?

Newbie2023
Getting Established

How to replace a polycarbonate roof for a verandah?

Good afternoon, wanted to get some help with a veranda roof. Have an old polycarbonate roof currently in the veranda and wanted to replace it with a new one.

Roof leftRoof leftRoof rightRoof right

Two concerns, one is that the right sided of the roof has no flashing currently and when heavy rain and wind, it rains underneath.

On the backside of the roof, the gutter is very close to the roof and there isnt much space to put any type of flashing. Currently for the back of the roof, using Foam infill that fills the shapes of the corrugated roof.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great before I start my project.

Thankyou

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing a polycarbonate roof for a verandah

Morning @Newbie2023 

Does the poly-carbonate roof go under the gutter, eaves and attach to the walls?

That timber beam - is it entering the roof or just resting on the tiles? Purpose?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Newbie2023. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a polycarbonate roof.

There is plenty of useful information in this Suntuff installation guide. You'll need to install flashing on the right-hand side to prevent water from being blown under the roof and inside. You'll likely need to take a barge capping and trim it down to suit the angle and gap. You can use Sikaflex to stick its top edge to the gutter and the bottom to the edge of the sheeting. There's also a wide range of byute flashing that you can stick on surfaces to inhibit water penetration. You might find these easier than solid flashing.

A  simple fix for the gutter at the backside would be to compress and push corrugated foam infill into the gap. The correct way is to fix corrugated flashing to the edge of the gutter and glue it down to the corrugation with Sikaflex.

Please remember your safety when working on the roof. You might like to check out this useful guide on How to use ladders safely.

Have a read through the guide, and let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie2023
Getting Established

Good afternoon

The polycarbonate sheets go under the back gutter. The area between the roof and the sheets is very small and only has space for the foam infill. It just sits up against the back wall not fixed in anyway to the back wall.

The timber beam sits on the the top of the roof, it is used for the capping going to the left for a tile roof that is for the laundry to the left of the veranda. It currently has a metal flashing that covers the roof sheets that join to the timber beam.

I am not comfortable taking the back gutter off to put a flashing up against the wall and under the gutter, since then to mount the gutter back I cant go on the polycarbonate roof since wont hold a persons weight.

Thankyou

Thankyou for the reply. Your idea for the byute flashing will probably be the easiest option to add flashing to the right hand side of the roof.

I will also try the sikaflex gluing the corrugated infill foam to the back edge the sheets before sliding it under the gutter.

Wil be working from the left to the right side, to fasten the sheets to the flashing on the left, and also stick the foam corrugated infill before screwing the sheets down with suntuf clearfix roofing screws.

I had a question, would trimdek be a better material for this project or stick to the corrugated polycarbonate suntuf sheets? The trimdek I believe is thinner in height, but dont know if its not as robust as the suntuf polycarbonate corrugated sheets.

Thankyou for all the good ideas you have provided.

Thanks

I can't see any particular advantages of switching styles; if anything, it's likely going to cause minor issues due to the difference in height @Newbie2023. The existing flashing is setup up for corrugations, so you'll have to redo the flashing on the left as well instead of just unscrewing it and then re-installing it when the new sheets go down.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning @Newbie2023 

I thought I was seeing eaves on the far right ("right roof") and I thought if the sheet was striking the wall with such a small clearance above, rain wouldn't be able to enter?

I had a similar corner to yours which I corrugated. A 300mm wide eave above follows the red line with 80mm clearance. This has provided a waterproof area for me in torrential rain which has ultimately destroyed roofs of modern Woolies and Coles stores. I thought when you re-roof, something similar might be achieved - without added flashing.

Just a thought. 👍

Good luck with your project.

20230306_090905.jpg

Newbie2023
Getting Established

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give your suggestion a try and when I am finished the roof will put some pictures up. Thankyou

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects