Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair verandah post?

diannem
Finding My Feet

How to repair verandah post?

1000010339.jpg

1000010339.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair verandah post?

Hi @diannem,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'm not 100% certain what I'm seeing. It looks like there's a post sleeve in the bottom tread of some stairs or potentially the edge of a concrete slab.

Was the post originally in this post sleeve? Or were you looking to remove the post sleeve? 

Was anything supported by this post?

Any additional details you can offer, as well as a wider shot of the post, would certainly help our members to offer their best advice.

Once we have some more information, I would be happy to assist further.

Jacob

Firstly, thank you for your reply JacobZ

and l appriate your precice language.

Yes, the post did fit the sleeve and the post is supporting one end of a bullnose varandah. I have the post propped up...but l dont want to leave it for too long. 

I am not sure about removing the sleeve.

1000010353.jpg

1000010352.jpg

Am l able to ask for a ball park costing to get the job done?

And once again thank you for your help.

regards

Diannem

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diannem,

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a ballpark figure for the job as there are too many variables involved in construction work such as this.

If there is a structure being supported by this post, it is important for your safety and that of anyone using these stairs that this is rectified as soon as possible. 

As a matter of urgency, I'd advise you to contact a carpenter for their assistance with this job. They will be able to assess the job as a whole, provide a quote and carry out the work to a professional standard.

I'd suggest using a service such as HiPages, True Local or Airtasker to find a carpenter near you who can assist with this job.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks JacobZ, l have spoken to a builder...good ones are thin on the ground....luckily, the small verandah is supported on 3 sides...like a 3 legged dog.

But it is better l repair it sooner than later--for sure!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diannem,

It's great to see you're looking to have this post repaired professionally. In the interim, I have concerns about the structure's stability. Without this support, there's a risk of collapse. You might like to have a temporary prop installed to support the structure until you can enlist professional assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc,

Propping was the very first thing I did. My builder wants to scarf it. I know what that is now, but he wants to remove the sleeve and put in a CPT concealed post base. I think this is unnecessary ( have told him this). I am quite happy if it sits over the sleeve...I am guessing a hole is drilled at the base of the new timber section...?

(What is the correct term?) and that secures it all, at it will prevent water getting in.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diannem 

Are you by chance referring to the term "counter sinking" the timber post? My only other suggestion is to have the timber post bottom sealed with bitumen paint for extra protection

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects