Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair rotting post?

wasabiusagi
Finding My Feet

How to repair rotting post?

I have a wooden post outside my house at the front and noticed that the bottom of the post looks to be damaged. Is there a way I can fix this and protect the rest of the post? 

photo 1 post.jpg photo 2 post.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair rotting post?

Hello @wasabiusagi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your rotting post.

It appears to be a support post and it's probable that some form of load is applied to it. If that is the case, I can only suggest replacing the entire post as doing a spot repair or patch is not advisable. Especially if the rot has travelled too far into the post. I also recommend having a quick look at this discussion - How to repair a rotted veranda post? by @FrankT.

If there is any indication of bowing or stress on the top assembly. I suggest putting support poles or temporary extra timber post as soon as possible. This will prevent further damage to the structure. If the repair appears to be too involved or complex, I propose engaging the services of a registered builder.

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza, @Noyade and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @wasabiusagi I would be inclined to replace the post as rot tends to be a cancer for wood and will be extended within. It's even more important when the post is load bearing. 

Heritage posts are readily available by simply Googling "Heritage Verandah Posts" for a supplier in your local area. While thats on order you can support the Verandah next to the post by hiring an Acrow prop, which are super easy to use and cheap to hire if doing the job yourself.

The post itself looks like it was first fixed to the facia with the metal stirrup pre-fitted and the veranda concrete poured. So it will mean cutting the stirrup at ground level and then you have a couple of options as to what to replace it with. But this will be the closest and easiest to fit. You will need to fasten it first to the concrete then attach it to the post.

It's actually quite an easy process albeit fiddly and requiring some tools like an angle grinder, or reciprocating saw with a metal blade, hammer drill and mite saw. It's a project I have done many times but having all these tools alone may mean it's out of your means. So a decent handyman or carpenter could do the work as @EricL has suggested.

Regards, Nailbag.

Thanks all! Appreciate the help. I have spoken to a friend who is a builder and looking to replace this.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects