Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint external timber doors?

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

How to repaint external timber doors?

IMG_0494.jpeg

Our external timber doors get hit by the sun and desperately need repainting as the paint is fading. 

I thought I would paint them white this time. It's the first time they have been repainted - we had a professional painter in after they were first installed. 

Can you please recommend the best paint to use? And do you think I need to prime first? The paint is not flaking anywhere, it is just faded. 

I would also like to know whether to just use a brush or we might get a better result with a roller. 

thanks 

IMG_0493.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint external doors?

Hello @AndreaNg 

I suggest doing a quick test to find out if you have an oil-based or water-based paint. I suggest getting a clean rag and some methylated spirits. Dip the end of the rag into the spirits and wipe the surface of the door. If the paint comes off it is a water-based paint. If it does not come off, it is an oil-based paint.

Once you find out what type of paint that you have, you can then begin sanding the surface of the door very well, you don't need to sand it back down to timber. If it is a water-based paint, I suggest using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L and for the topcoat I recommend Dulux 4L Aquanamel High Gloss White Enamel Paint - 4L

But if it is oil-based, I suggest Dulux 4L White Prepcoat 1Step Oil Based Primer Sealer And Undercoat and for the topcoat, I propose Dulux 4L Super Enamel Paint High Gloss Vivid White. For convenience and a fine finish, I suggest using a high-quality paint brush.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to Paint a Front Door

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects