Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to render patch of brick wall?

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to render patch of brick wall?

Hi all,

Last week we demolished an old pergola, installed a new one (Versiclad insulated roof, much nicer :wink:

The house has acrylic rendering with texture coating (painted) by previous owner (decent job done back then, no crack at all after all those years...)

As a by-product by raising the roof ceiling to connect with the fascia / rafts, the un-rendered area below the eaves and above the old pergola is exposed, it's not small, doesn't seem to be a big enough job for professionals either...

Did some research but it's more complicated than I thought. High level process is

1. render

2. texture coating

3. paint

For render, Rockcote, Dulux and Dunlop are common ones, but I am not sure what type of base rendering material to use to match the existing material.

Rockcote

https://rockcote.com.au/products/

Dulux

https://www.dulux.com.au/applicator/products/acratex/overview/acratexrenderwall/

For

Texture coating / finish - looks like Rockcote products: https://rockcote.com.au/product-category/coloured-renders-textures-and-specialty-finishes/textures/

sandcote

- quicksand coarse

-Tuscany Trowel On Coarse

are seem pretty all close

Paint

- this is sorted, I have Dulux Weathershield 1L matched.

This may be a DIY job but I think it'll be good to understand the processes and material, so when the "Pros" do it I can see if it's done properly.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

terrywang_1-1726975605191.png

terrywang_2-1726975618371.png

terrywang_3-1726975642499.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to render patch of brick wall?

Hi @terrywang,

Just to clarify, are you going to attempt this repair yourself or have professionals complete it? 

To begin, preparation is essential. Make sure the exposed brick is clean, free of dust, loose mortar, and other debris. You may also want to dampen the surface slightly before applying the render, as this helps with adhesion. For the base render, you’ll need to match the existing acrylic render as closely as possible though it's not essential that it is the same product. Dunlop 20kg Multipurpose Acrylic Render would be fine to use.

There's quite a coarse texture to your render, so you'll either need to texture the Dunlop render or look for textured coatings. If a professional were completing this job, there would likely have a miriad of different ways they can texture the Dunlop product with tools to achieve a seamless repair. They'd use the flat surface of their trowel to pull up peaks or a sponge to stipple the area.

After applying the render, you can move on to the texture coating to replicate the look of the previous finish. Products from Rockcote, as you've already researched, seem to be the closest match.

Finally, once the texture coating is dry, you can apply your Dulux Weathershield paint to complete the job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects