Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix collapsing eaves?

weekendwally
Just Starting Out

How to fix collapsing eaves?

Hi all,

The eave sheeting under my roof is starting to collapse.

What would be the easiest way to fix this?

Eaves 1.PNG

eaves close up.PNG

Thank you,

Wally

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix collapsing eaves?

Hi @weekendwally,

Thank you for your question about fixing eaves that are starting to collapse.

It looks like the eaves have been fixed directly to your roof rafters which are likely spaced at 1200mm centres. Is this correct?

If this is the case, the reason your eaves are sagging is that 4.5mm thick eave linings such as these James Hardie HardieFlex™ 2400 x 450 x 4.5mm Eaves are only designed to span 450mm between bearers (rafters) and 6mm eave sheets such as James Hardie Versilux are supposed to span 600mm.

To adequately support the eave sheets, you will likely need to add some framing between the rafters. This would involve removing the rafters and exposing the framing, which would likely damage the eave sheets, potentially making them unsuitable for reuse. 

If you are looking to fix the issue conclusively, this is certainly the way to go, but if you are simply looking for a temporary repair to buy some time before a more conclusive repair, you can use Paslode 30 x 2.8mm 500g Galvanised Fibre Cement Nails to refix the sheets to the rafters.

Allow me to tag @Nailbag and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any advice to offer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to fix collapsing eaves?

Hi @weekendwally firstly I love your handle name 😀

@JacobZ is giving you the perfect advice to replace the eve sheets. My comments are more around what needs to be done before replacement once the old ones have been removed.

• Is there any water damage from gaps in the roof and flashings that needs repair/replacement? I can see daylight in one photo.
  • The condition of the rafters, is there any signs of wood rot?  
  • The guttering clips appear to be a mix of fixing to either the ends of the rafters or possibly incorrectly the front edge of the eve sheets hence why some are vending down. At the moment I can see the gutting clips are fixed to the end of the rafters with at least one pulling away because the eve sheet join is taking up the end of there rafter.
  • Is the condition of the guttering itself showing any signs of severe rust?
  • I would also have the cable internally re-routed if active while you have the opportunity.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 7.06.40 AM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects