Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove water stains on my newly-oiled deck?

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

How to remove water stains on my newly-oiled deck?

Hi all. My deck finished early this year (Jan) using timber oil and at the start of April I gave it a clean. I then decided to apply recoat. As some look weathered (half the deck is exposed) 

On the day something came up and I only got one coat done.

And as rain has pooled from recent rain some water stains have appeared. Initial reaction is that because I only applied one coat this is a problem. 

Can I get some advice on what I should do next...

1) once weather clears for a day, clean and recoat (at least twice) 

2) leave it be and wait and see 

3) ??

Cheers

16808399822912941627364454345150.jpg

16808400033548746257729822265776.jpg

16808400290541510910953117702858.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: merbau deck - advice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @amichaelmedia. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about applying decking oil.

I suspect the markings are due to water pooling on the oil before it has had time to cure rather than because you weren't able to apply two coats before the rain. If it rains within 48 hours of applying a treatment, the water will soak into the wood, and try and displace the oil. This can cause a blotchy look rather than a smooth, even coat. If it rains immediately after you’ve oiled the wood, the oil and stain combo will peel and flake off. 

I suggest you apply some oil to a stained area to see if it adequately disguises the blotch. If not, you need to scrub the deck down with Cabot's Deck Clean and test again. Failing the deck clean working, I'd recommend Cabot's New Timber prep to try and strip the compromised stain off. The last method of resolving the issue is sanding the deck, but hopefully, you don't have to resort to that.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

PXL_20230423_030147014.jpg

 hey again thanks for the help

I've recently also noticed my outdoor furniture that I used furniture oil on (feast n Watson) has left a stain on deck... Advice on this?

Hi @amichaelmedia,

There's no instant fix to remove that staining. Is it just that one spot or others as well? You could try using the New Timber Prep to remove the stain, but it's going to be difficult to remove the spot without affecting the surrounding area. There is some pigment in the decking oil, so you could try taking some and spot-painting it on the mark. That might reduce its noticeability. If anyone in the household is a bit of an artist, you could have them blend some brown oil-based paint and touch up the area.

Sanding back the area until you reach unstained timber and re-oiling is likely going to be the best fix.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects