Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from brick retaining wall?

alyssaB
Just Starting Out

How to remove paint from brick retaining wall?

Hi! 

The previous owners of this house made some hasty "updates" to the outdoor space, and all have since aged badly. I'd like to remove this paint from this retaining wall. You can see it has bubbled and has mould from water movement.

I have access to a pressure washer, but not a very strong one. I want to make sure not to damage the bricks. 

Two questions: 

1. Is a pressure washer the right product for this rather than paint stripper?

2. Any advice for pressure washing technique To effectively remove the paint? And how to not damage the plants in the planter bed behind? 

I'm aware of safety guidelines for the pressure washer. 

Looking at the bricks that can be seen through the chips, I suspect they were painted to hide the mismatch between these and the original ones. What are my options if I wanted to stain (?) the bricks in the future (assuming painting again would lead to the same outcome). 

Keen for guidance,

Alyssa

20241021_120014.jpg

20241021_120025.jpg

20241021_120036.jpg

20241021_120052.jpg

  

20241021_120059.jpg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove paint from brick retaining wall?

Hello @alyssaB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing the paint on your retaining wall.

There are two possible methods you can use to strip the paint from your retaining wall. You can use a chemical stripper such as Poly 1L Polystrippa Paint Stripper - 1L. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, long arm gloves, goggles and a paint rated mask. This is a very strong chemical stripper so please follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the can. 

The other method is to use a mechanical stripper such as Flexovit 100mm Multi Purpose Flexi Strip Stripping Disc or Josco 75mm Twistknot Cup Brush. There is also the option of using both methods especially if there are hard to strip sections where the paint has petrified. 

Please keep in mind that once a brick surface has been painted, the paint will usually enter the pores of the brick basically blocking it up and preventing stains from being absorbed. There is also the issue of hydrostatic pressure where water from the other side of the brick wall is passing through the brick thereby pushing off any type of paint you put in front of it. The solution of course is to seal off the brick wall from the other side with a waterproof compound such as Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber.

If the brick wall is prepared properly and sealed from the back, then painting it should be perfectly fine. 

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects