Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove mould and black stains on Merbau deck?

RMacalintal
Finding My Feet

How to remove mould and black stains on Merbau deck?

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

Hi,

Got this issue with my merbau deck. Just want to ask how to get rid of this black stains and moulds and then how to protect it from re-occurring. It has wood stains applied on it but when it was built more than a year ago but due to rain water and ponding it started to turned like this after few months. The only section affected is the outer edge of the deck due to driving rain. The deck is covered.
Thanks in advanced.

Kind regards,

Rohnson

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mould and black stains on merbau deck

Hi Rohnson (@RMacalintal), 

You need to start by thoroughly cleaning the deck. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to clean a deck. In the guide, they use Cabot's Deck Clean. However, given the significant staining on your deck, you might like to use Cabot's New Timber Prep first, which is a stronger product. You can then follow the guide and use the Deck Clean. Be advised that it might take a few applications of the Timber Prep and/or Deck Clean to remove that level of staining. 

Once the deck is nice and clean and the staining removed, you can follow this guide: How to oil a deck.

It's essential that your timber stays saturated with oil, or staining can penetrate. For an exposed area, you might need to oil every six months.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the thorough response. I will consider this method. 
By the way, with the weather recently here in Melbourne, can i do this cleaning or I have to make sure that the weather is sunny and dry?

Definitely I wont oil it if its wet. :smile:

kind regard,

Rohnson

You're fine to do the cleaning at the moment @RMacalintal, the wet weather is no issue; unless it buckets down before you get time to scrub the deck and the solution washes away.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects