Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the widening gaps between outdoor pavers and house bricks?

owatt
Just Starting Out

How to fix the widening gaps between outdoor pavers and house bricks?

Hi, we would like to repair the gaps between our outdoor bluestone pavers and house bricks. Gaps are about 5mm wide all along the house. The paving was done by landscapers a few years ago; some of the pavers near the bricks are becoming loose as well. What can we use to fill in the gaps, which could hopefully stop the gaps from widening and also stabilise the pavers? Some photos attached - the gaps don't look great! Advice most appreciated, thanks

PXL_20240704_031426408~2.jpg

PXL_20240704_031436409~2.jpg

PXL_20240704_031454856~2.jpg

PXL_20240704_031447673.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix the widening gaps between outdoor pavers and house bricks?

Hello @owatt 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your questions about your pavers.

It appears that the landscapers used some form of grout to go between your pavers and it is now deteriorating. The movement is caused by water entering the gaps and softening the soil base underneath. If enough water enters the gap the sand base that was originally used by the landscapers will get washed away. Which will cause more movement.

Replacing all the grout with Dunlop 5kg Flexible Coloured Grout - Slate Grey or similar, will slow down the movement of the pavers. But it will eventually move again due to the base of the pavers being compromised. If the pavers have been left unattended too long, the sand under the pavers will eventually get washed away by rain.

For a long-term repair, I suggest removing all the pavers and refilling and tamping the sand base of the pavers. You can then re-position the pavers and re-sealing their gap with grout.

Here are some handy-step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
owatt
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, thanks so much for your advice and resources - these are most helpful. Could I ask a follow-up question please: if we re-do this for the long term, how long approximately would the sand base and grout last, particularly given the kind of weather and other conditions in Melbourne (which is where we live)? Many thanks 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @owatt 

I never think of a job as being permanant, long term maybe. Sand and gravel plus natural movement and settling will always shift things about. 

Its something to watch and maintain over time more then a fix and forget as much as we would like to. The pavers I put down two years ago need a topping up now (They have sunk a little next to a gabion wall) We have had a fair amount of rain since I laid them and it was a fresh install on hand tamped clay so i expected some movement.

Following @EricL 's suggestions would give you the best long term (cant give a def on the term is all) solution.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @owatt 

One way to mitigate the flow of sand out under your pavers is to put 100 x 16mm 4.8m Edging H4 Treated Pine Sawn Wet on the edge of your pavers. A bit of the soil will need to be dug out so that the edging is at the same level as the pavers. You can also fix them in place using timber steaks or your choice of tent pegs.

In regards to how long the repair will last, I'm afraid only time will tell. Your pavers and the grout are exposed directly to the weather. When the grout starts to deteriorate and allows water to pass through the gap, that is when the movement will start. My best advice is to check the grouts condition yearly, and if it looks like it is starting to fail, that's your signal to change and renew it.  

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects