Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a floating deck with composite decking?

asava17
Growing in Experience

How to build a floating deck with composite decking?

Hi guys I'm wanting to create a simple floating deck 3m x 3m 

I would like to use Tuff Blocks foundation system. 

But I would like to use Eko Deck composite decking as the system looks relatively easy to put together.

Im just wondering if there's any decking tips/tricks or potential problems with my idea? Thanks guys

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Floating Deck with Composite decking

Hi @asava17,

Thank you for your question about building a 3x3m composite timber deck.

There's not much to it, and the Ekodeck system makes it a breeze, but good planning and preparation are key to getting a good result.

Start by marking out the area where you plan on having the deck with a tape measure, string line and some spray and mark paint ensuring you get things good and square.

Once the area is marked out, if some levelling is required, excavate the area to fairly level and then add a layer of drainage gravel approximately 50mm thick over the area. Compact and level the drainage gravel using a tamper.

When building the framing, don't assume things are square based on your original lay out. Check, check and check again to ensure it is perfectly square. Check out How To Use The 3-4-5 Rule To Make A Square for some guidance on how to do this.

Have you considered how you would like to finish the deck? I'd suggest a picture framed look, like @Jithesh has done in their project Low-level deck with picture framing.

If the picture framed look is to your liking, I'd suggest having a look at how @MitchellMc has achieved this in How to build a deck as you'll require some additional framing to achieve this look.

The final tip I have is to get stuck in. The best way to learn is by doing and a deck is a fantastic project to learn with as it is fairly simple, but the skills you'll learn and the confidence you'll gain along the way are truly priceless.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any other advice to offer, @Nailbag, @Jewelleryrescue, @DIY4Knuckleheds, @Dave-1.

You might also like to check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for some inspiration and How to build a low-level deck for some additional guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @asava17 

Wooooo @JacobZ 's list is comprehensive but bang on the nail. I have done those steps for me deck.

The only exta thing I can think to add is check your height. By this I mean set up a couple of stands/steps bench at the height your deck will be and move thema round. Sometimes and extra foot of head height brings into view the neighbours, the rd or footpath type deal. 

Would love to see your pics in a project!

Dave

asava17
Growing in Experience

Thank you!! I'm bit of a noob when it comes to buying wood. What's the best wood for the frame/joist would you recommend?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @asava17 

I was about just wandering through the projects @JacobZ listed to see what timber they have used. I have used old hardwood timbers recovered from a second use dealer for my structures. I like the colouring and the whole idea of reusing plus it lasts forever.

I came across this and woooo I thought JacobZ's list was good, this one has a lot more information that will help you out.

How to build a low-level deck  by @Adam_W 

Noobs start somewhere and we are all one at some point or another! :laugh: Admitting mistakes I was saying to the round table of coffee this morning is a right of passage :smile: Means everyone learns from it and not just the person who made the mistake.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @asava17,

The specific timber you use is often dictated by the design considerations of the deck. We often advise our deck building members to have a look through the Timber Span Tables from one of our timber suppliers Hyne Timber. These span tables are what we use to work out what timber can span what distance between supports.

As @Dave-1 has said, hardwood is always great for deck frames but can often be hard to come by. My suggestion is you use H3 Pine Framing in a profile such as 140x35mm. This timber is treated for outdoor use and is sturdy enough to create a nice strong deck when well supported by Tuff Blocks.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to build a floating deck with composite decking?

Hi @asava17 those two posts by @JacobZ pretty much sums up all the steps and links to get you going. My only change to that would be to use 90 x 45 in line of 90 x 35 H3 treated pine. It will provide more strength but it also gives more surface area to fix to on any joins.

When using the tuff block system just take that extra effort to make sure the sound is level, flat and well compacted.

And I always recommend laying rubber protectadeck on the top of the joists to prevent any long term deterioration from water pooling under the deck boards.

Nailbnag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects