Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a fridge from a caravan?

kand
Getting Established

How to remove a fridge from a caravan?

I also had to buy a small fridge as the two-way fridge was broken.

That’s all well and good @selva, but you had to get the old fridge out of the van before you could put the new one in!

My question, in case you haven’t already guessed, is how did you get the old one out, please?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vintage York caravan renovation

Hi @kand,

It can definitely be a challenge getting those old fridges out. Were you looking for assistance with removing it from the cabinetry, or was it just too large to fit out the door?

If it’s a cabinetry issue, you might need to detach any screws or brackets holding it in place. For size constraints, sometimes tilting or rotating the fridge can create the extra space needed to maneuver it out. I’ve also found that removing any nearby panels can help create more room.

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kand
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc,

Thanks for replying to my question - and so quickly. 

My problem is first of all the cabinet issue. I can see that there are two steel pieces that are on the bottom of the face of the fridge, one on each side. When I was looking at them, they seemed more like they were holding the fridge together rather than holding the fridge in place. And, given the age of the van (40 years old), if the fridge is the original one, it might well need to be held together. 😛 It also makes a tremendous racket when it is turned on, so those steel pieces might be used for preventing it taking off. 😳

As the tagline under my name indicates, I’m a novice on this site and whilst I would like to post a picture of the offending pieces in my answer, I’m not sure if I can do that with my current skill level. And I’m not prepared to lose everything I have typed in the process of trying to make it happen. So the text is going to come first and then I’ll have an attempt at getting a picture of the front of the fridge. 

Thanks again,

Andrew 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let us know how you go with the images, Andrew (@kand). If you have difficulty, send them to workshop@bunnings.com.au, and I'll post them for you.

Mitchell

kand
Getting Established

IMG_3355.jpegAnd now I’m going to demonstrate how observant (not!) I have been with my caravan. 
There are similar metal plates at the top of the fridge frame that I have never noticed before. 

IMG_3356.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm tipping that the bottom metal trim should pull off, and under the fridge will be adjustable-height legs @kand. They are probably wound up to compress the top of the fridge against the bottom side of the bench, locking it into position. See if you can get the bottom trim off to reveal some fixings.

Let me mention @twocutekelpies to see if she can be of any assistance.

Mitchell

kand
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc,

Your tipping point was partly right. But before I go any further, I don't want to take over this thread and detract from the great work that @selva has done. Should my very basic questions be moved somewhere else?

I won't post any further until I hear from you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've created a new thread for your discussion @kand. Feel free to ask away!

Jason

kand
Getting Established

Here’s the image of the bottom of the fridge in my caravan. 

It was sort of expected that there would be some adjustable feet or legs that were jamming the fridge in. Unfortunately, taking off the panel revealed just the controls for the fridge!

IMG_3360.jpeg

Might there be some bolts through the floor from each corner of the fridge that would be holding the fridge in place?

I’m asking before I get under the van because I don’t want to get under it if I don’t have to!

Thanks,

Andrew 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kand 

This is a very interesting puzzle indeed. I propose doing a systematic check of the possible places a holding screw might be located. I recommend starting at the side panel and side cabinets, next would be under the floor followed by the outside wall. The only other location I can think of is under the benchtop itself. It might be necessary to remove the benchtop and there could be a steel plate at the top with screws holding the fridge in place.    

If all else fails and you are not keeping the old fridge, I propose using a demolition crowbar and brute force.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @JoeAzza, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their opinion regarding the possible location of the holding screw.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects