Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a backyard fountain cemented into the ground?

alla
Getting Established

How to remove a backyard fountain cemented into the ground?

IMG_7123.jpeg

Hi there, I have a fountain in our backyard which is cemented into the ground. I am going to have a pool built where it’s currently standing. It’s  not very deep, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way of removing it?

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a backyard fountain cemented into the ground?

Hi @alla,

Will it be an above-ground or below-ground pool? If it's below ground then the excavator that will be digging the hole will make short work or removing the fountain. I'd recommend enquiring with the construction company to see if there would be an additional charge for dealing with the fountain.

If you do need to remove the fountain, I suspect you could do it with some elbow grease and a sledgehammer. Alternatively, you might like to use the sledgehammer in combination with a rotary hammer drill. If there is a lot of solid concrete, you might need to step up to a demolition breaker, which is like a small jackhammer.

The best way to remove it will likely depend on how it was constructed. Start by breaking and removing the sandstone seated surround. Once that is removed, you can start on the sides and remove the bricks.

As flying debris will be present, ensure you wear safety gear, including a face shield, dust mask, hearing protection, gloves, and safety work shoes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects